Please help X+2y=10 is Y= what?

ftr7932

I'm trying to figure out how to rewrite this equation. Can anyone help.
Actually I'm trying to graph this on a TI84 but am having trouble entering what Y=

Thanks

Subtract 'x'.

Divide by '2'.

What do you get?

when I solve x+2y=10, i get ordered pairs {(0,5),(6,2),(10,0),(4,3)}
What I'm really trying to do is to enter this equation into my TI-84 graphing calculator, but I have to enter the equation as "y=". For some reason, I'm getting all turned around on how to enter it. I can 't enter 2y=10-x to graph and table it. My other equation to the linear system is 2x+4y=48. I know how to use the elimination method, but I was trying to find an easier tool.

Thanks for responding

You seem a bit confused. "Solve" does not result in a few ordered pairs.

I think you cannot enter "2y = 10-x" as a formula in your TI. Divide by 2. Then you'll be closer.

Solve the other for 'y'. Subtract '2x'. Divide by '4'.

I'kk be honest with you. If you cannot solve these two equations for 'y', you probably have no business in this class. You should have been good at such algebraic manipulation maybe two years ago. If you have skipped over some classes, that may have been a mistake. Please go have a heart-to-heart talk with your teacher or academic advisor. Let's make sure you are in the right class before we struggle through things for which you really do not have the right skill set.

Try to follow the steps. Since you are trying to find Y
First get rid of the x so therefore you subtract x from both sides
to have a simple equation then to find y divide bothe sides by 2 .

Ok, let's start with the basics. when you have an equation for a line that starts with "y=" the form is called slope-intercept.
The form is y=mx+b
m being the slope of the line
b being the intercept of the y axis (the place where the line intersects the y axis)
So, if you're trying to change x+2y=10, you want to get the y on one side and all the other stuff on the other.
Subtract the x to the other side to get 2y=10-x
Then, all that's left is the coefficient 2 (Coefficient is the number attached to a variable)
The coefficient is attached by multiplication, so in order to get rid of it, you have to do the opposite of multiplying... which is... DIVISION!!! Yay!
That's what everyone means by dividing by 2. Make sure you divide by both sides so you keep both sides balanced.
I just got a graphic calculator too... but I kind of already knew this, but anyways, I hope this helped! If you need the answer.... just ask, but show some work first. That's the kind of effort everyone appreciates.