Please help!

Alexia01

Hello,

My 12 year old son is, unlike his mother, really smart. Due to quarentine reasons children are not aloud to go to school in Europe. But I can't help him with his homework and he's getting discouraged. My son is unable to make the following geometry question:

It says, calculate C1, D1 and S1

Answers are very much welcome, but a small explanation too. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2020-04-14 om 15.18.37.png
    Schermafbeelding 2020-04-14 om 15.18.37.png
    1 MB · Views: 8
Your son should be looking at this and asking the questions/writing what he knows.

I would say to him:

"The measure of angle CAB is 26 degrees. Then the measure of angle ACD is
what? Why is that? The measures of angles CDB, ACD, and DSC add to what?
Why? Then the measure of angle DSC equals what? Why?

The measure of angle DSC relates to the measure of angle BSA in what way?
Why? The measure of angle DCB equals the measure of angle B (sub 3). Why?
Then you can determine the measure of angle ACB. Why?

Other things to consider:

The measure of angle ADC added to the measure of angle DCB equals 180 degrees. The measure of angle ADC is the same number of degrees as the
measure of angle CBA. The measure of angle CBA added to the given measure
of 65 degrees adds to 180 degrees."

Your son has to have some current understanding of the relationship of certain
angles formed to each other when one or more pairs of parallel lines are cut by
one or more individual lines.

He needs to know about the sum of the measures of the three interior angles
of a triangle and how to apply it to a problem such as the one you passed along
here.

Last edited:
My 12 year old son is, unlike his mother, really smart. Due to quarentine reasons children are not aloud to go to school in Europe. But I can't help him with his homework and he's getting discouraged. My son is unable to make the following geometry question:

It says, calculate C1, D1 and S1

Answers are very much welcome, but a small explanation too. Thank you so much!
I agree that it will be good if your son can tell us his thinking so we can interact directly.

My main advice (after checking what he knows about angles involved with parallel lines and in triangles) would be not to focus only on the three angles that are asked for, but to look for related angles anywhere in the figure and write in their values.

For example, AC is a transversal between parallel lines AB and DC. Among other things, this implies that angles A1 and C2 are congruent, so you can write in what C2 is. Keep doing that, and you will soon have all the requested angles (or at least enough other angles to make it easy when you turn your focus to them).

Thank you so much for your reply! I wil translate this and hopefully we wil be able to make it. Unfortunately my son does not speak English. I don't know if we will be able to translate his thoughts and math words to correct English.