Please help

hendrick2488

I'm not a math guy, never have. Just a 51 year old who barely got through Algebra. But I do need help. Please let me setup and explain.

1) There are three groups of people. 1st group has 6 people, 2nd group has 6 people and 3rd group has 7 people. 19 people total.

2) There is an assignment where only 10 people can participate.

3) All else considered equal, what are the odds that everyone from the 1st group is chosen and the four remaining are spread to other groups.

Thank you in advance. Your help is appreciated greatly.

I'm not a math guy, never have. Just a 51 year old who barely got through Algebra. But I do need help. Please let me setup and explain.

1) There are three groups of people. 1st group has 6 people, 2nd group has 6 people and 3rd group has 7 people. 19 people total.

2) There is an assignment where only 10 people can participate.

3) All else considered equal, what are the odds that everyone from the 1st group is chosen and the four remaining are spread to other groups.

Since you don't appear to have any interest in learning probability, it may be important for you to tell us how you plan to use the answer. Sometimes people can misapply probability when they just get a number without understanding.

But the probability (not odds) that I get is [MATH]\frac{\binom{13}{4}}{\binom{19}{10}} = 0.0077 = 0.77\%[/MATH]. That's pretty low, but far from impossible.