pls help me with this distributive property!!!

lerrykc

411 x 8 = (400 x __ ) +

(__x 8)= ____+

88=_____

Last edited:
Your post still looks odd, breaking equations into multiple lines in the middle of expressions. Did you notice the [Preview Post] button? It allows you to see your how your post will appear, so that you may fix things before posting.

Also, I moved it because you accidentally posted in somebody else's discussion. Please use the [Post New Thread] button next time you want to start a new exercise discussion.

Welcome to the boards. This site is for tutoring, so we have some guidelines.

We would like you to explain where you're stuck or what you've tried or thought about so far.

You need to learn what the Distributive Property means first, before trying an exercise like this. Do you know what the Distributive Property means?

They seem to have left off a step (maybe on purpose), so here's a hint in red below. If you still need help, after studying the definition and some examples, please feel free to come back and tell us what's up.

Cheers :cool:

411 x 8 =

(400 + 11) x 8 =

(400 x ___) +
(___ x 8) =

___ +
88 =

___

Last edited:
Hello, lerrykc!

If the problem was presented like that,
. . no wonder you can't solve it!

411 x 8 = (400 x __ ) +

(__ x 8) = ____+

88 = ___

Let's look at what we are given . . .

. . \(\displaystyle 411 \times 8 \;=\;(400 \times \_\_) + (\_\_ \times 8) \;=\;\_\_ + 88 \;=\; \_\_\)

We're expected to guess the first step.
Then the rest of the steps can be reasoned.

. . .\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{ccc}411 \times 8 &=& (400 + 11) \times 8 \\ &=&(400 \times \color{red}{8}) + (\color{red}{11}\times 8) \\ &=& \color{red}{3200} + 88 \\ &=& \color{red}{3288}\end{array}\)

It's the guessing that annoys me.
That part doesn't serve any logical purpose.

It would be more instructive if it were:

. . \(\displaystyle 411 \times 8 \:=\: (400 + 10 + 1) \times 8\)