Point-slope form to standard form

mathperplexed

Hi,
New to Free Math Help. Taking a math class online due to bedrest for pregnancy and math is not a good subject for me so I am having a hard time. I have to convert point-slope form y-y?=m(x-x?) to standard form Ax+By=C. I must express A,B, and C in terms of the constants m,x?, and y?I am at a complete loss. Do I use distributive property for the right side of the equation? Do I get x to the left side of the equation and then I am finished? Not a clue. Textbook only list forms does not go about hbow to convert one form to another. Please help!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!

\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{l} y - y_0 = m\left( {x - x_0 } \right) \\ y - y_0 = mx - mx_0 \\ mx - y = mx_0 - y_0 \\ \end{array}\)
I hope that this answers your question.

Not really. I am missing something. I thought x and y had to be on the left side of the equation with m (or C) on the other side of the equation. Not sure what my mental block is, if this is an easy or obvious problem.

\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{l} y - 7 = \frac{2}{3}\left( {x + 6} \right) \\ 3y - 21 = 2x + 12 \\ 2x - 3y = - 33 \\ \end{array}\)

Thanks, but I understand how to do it when using numbers, that I can get. I don't understand how to do it from my original post.

mathperplexed said:
I don't understand how to do it from my original post.
But that is exactly what I did in my first response!
\(\displaystyle A = m\,,\,B = - 1\,\& \,C = mx_0 - y_0\)

pka said:
mathperplexed said:
I don't understand how to do it from my original post.
But that is exactly what I did in my first response!
\(\displaystyle A = m\,,\,B = - 1\,\& \,C = mx_0 - y_0\)

This equation was corrected by my professor. It was wrong. So, I had to have it explained again. It is now clear, once the two were compared.