Polynomial with complex numbers

Physicsfreak-2000

Hey guys,

I just started my physics major at college. I am taking a course in Calculus and I should hand in my second homework problems next week. The homework is on complex numbers and I finished almost everything but I can't figure out how to solve the last problem.

We are given a certian polynomial p(z) = z^16 + z^15 + z^14 +z^13.... and so on until z + 1. We should get 16 answers. I figured out I should multiply this whole polynomail with z - 1. I thought it would be an easier equation than: z^17 - z - 1. (I hope I haven't made a mistake there)

I can't figure out what the next steps are in order to solve this problem and I would appreciate some help :)

Hey guys,

I just started my physics major at college. I am taking a course in Calculus and I should hand in my second homework problems next week. The homework is on complex numbers and I finished almost everything but I can't figure out how to solve the last problem.

We are given a certian polynomial p(z) = z^16 + z^15 + z^14 +z^13.... and so on until z + 1. We should get 16 answers. I figured out I should multiply this whole polynomail with z - 1. I thought it would be an easier equation than: z^17 - z - 1. (I hope I haven't made a mistake there)

I can't figure out what the next steps are in order to solve this problem and I would appreciate some help :)
You say ...... We should get 16 answers.

Answers for what? What did you want to "find"?

Do you see that p(z) is a geometric series?

What would be the "sum" of the series with 17 terms?

I just started my physics major at college. I am taking a course in Calculus and I should hand in my second homework problems next week. The homework is on complex numbers and I finished almost everything but I can't figure out how to solve the last problem. We are given a certian polynomial p(z) = z^16 + z^15 + z^14 +z^13.... and so on until z + 1. We should get 16 answers. I figured out I should multiply this whole polynomail with z - 1. I thought it would be an easier equation than: z^17 - z - 1. (I hope I haven't made a mistake there)
It seems that your question evolves \(\displaystyle P(z) = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^{16} {{z^k}} = 0\).
If that is correct see this LINK

So you're trying to solve the equation z^16 + z^15 + z^14 +z^13 ... + z + 1 = 0. You multiplied the function p(z) by (z - 1), and you seem to be saying you got z^17 - z - 1. That isn't quite right. It's actually z^17 - 1. That is, the equation

(z - 1)(z^16 + z^15 + z^14 +z^13 ... + z + 1) = 0​

(which is true whenever the given equation is true) becomes

z^17 - 1 = 0​

So you are solving for the roots of z^17 = 1 other than the trivial real root, 1. Have you learned how to find roots using polar form of a complex number?

We haven't learned how to find the roots of a complex number using polar form, but I did some research on it and now I think I get it. Thanks for the help guys!

We haven't learned how to find the roots of a complex number using polar form, but I did some research on it and now I think I get it. Thanks for the help guys!
Great! Please post your solution here to help other students with similar problems.