pre algebra help please!

lillybeth

I need help with this question please:
What should be done to both sides of the equation in order to solve w - 9 and 1/2 = 15
a) Add 15
b) Subtract 15
c) Add 9 and 1/2
please help! thanks guys. :confused:

reply to denis

Lilly, for someone who was using u's and r's all over the place,
plus careless sentence structuring, I must say that you are
now the BEST "young writer" here; CONGRATS :rolleyes:

Oh. thankyou, I guess?

I don't really know if you are being sarcastic but thanks anyway.

No, he wasn't being sarcastic- you write very well and clearly. However, I am concerned about the kind of problems you keep posting. You post some very difficult problems and some that depend only on basic ideas of algebra, the kind that are typically taught at age 10 or 11. Further, you seldom show any attempt to solve the problems youself. Given the kind of problems you have posted before, I find it very difficult to believe that you have absolutely no idea how to solve \(\displaystyle w- 9\frac{1}{2}= 16\).

The very first thing you should have learned about solving equations is that "solve an equation" means to have the unknow, here, w, alone: w= some number.

And soon after that, you should have learned that you have to do the same thing to both sides. Now, what arithmetic operation do you have to do to change "\(\displaystyle w- 9\frac{1}{2}\) to just w?

(If it's bothering you at all, \(\displaystyle 9\frac{1}{2}= 9+ \frac{1}{2}= \frac{18}{2}+ \frac{1}{2}= \frac{19}{2}\).)

hallsofivy:

No, he wasn't being sarcastic- you write very well and clearly. However, I am concerned about the kind of problems you keep posting. You post some very difficult problems and some that depend only on basic ideas of algebra, the kind that are typically taught at age 10 or 11. Further, you seldom show any attempt to solve the problems youself. Given the kind of problems you have posted before, I find it very difficult to believe that you have absolutely no idea how to solve \(\displaystyle w- 9\frac{1}{2}= 16\).

The very first thing you should have learned about solving equations is that "solve an equation" means to have the unknow, here, w, alone: w= some number.

And soon after that, you should have learned that you have to do the same thing to both sides. Now, what arithmetic operation do you have to do to change "\(\displaystyle w- 9\frac{1}{2}\) to just w?

(If it's bothering you at all, \(\displaystyle 9\frac{1}{2}= 9+ \frac{1}{2}= \frac{18}{2}+ \frac{1}{2}= \frac{19}{2}\).)

Actualy, I do try to do the problems before posting here, and I usually am pretty good at linear equation solving. That problem confused me because of the fraction, I am having trouble with the problems with fractions involved. Even after I post, I usually stick to the problem untill I or you, or someone here solves it. In fact, I solved it first in a couple of my threads. But thanks for trying to warn me about my diligence (I think I spelled that right) any way.