Predicate logic: Let the predicate p over the set of people M be defined as: p(x,y) := x is a parent of y.

Marcel1104

Predicate logic: Let the predicate p over the set of people M be defined as: p(x,y) := x is a parent of y. What is sought is the predicate logical expression for
1. Not every person has a child.
2. Every person has a gradparent.
3. There are people who don’t have siblings.

I thought about:
{\displaystyle \lnot }
(
{\displaystyle \exists }
X
{\displaystyle \in }
M:
{\displaystyle \forall }
y
{\displaystyle \in }
M: p(x,y))
{\displaystyle \forall }
x
{\displaystyle \in }
M:
{\displaystyle \exists }
y
{\displaystyle \in }
M: p(p(y,x),x)
{\displaystyle \exists }
X, y
{\displaystyle \in }
M:
{\displaystyle \forall }
z
{\displaystyle \in }
M:
{\displaystyle \lnot }
(p(z,x) v p(z,y))

Is it correct?:)

Attachments

• IMG_6847.jpeg
    IMG_6847.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 3
Predicate logic: Let the predicate p over the set of people M be defined as: p(x,y) := x is a parent of y. What is sought is the predicate logical expression for
1. Not every person has a child.
2. Every person has a gradparent.
3. There are people who don’t have siblings.

I thought about:
{\displaystyle \lnot }
(
{\displaystyle \exists }
X
{\displaystyle \in }
M:
{\displaystyle \forall }
y
{\displaystyle \in }
M: p(x,y))

This seems to be the negation of "There exists a person who is the parent of everybody in the set (including him/herself?). Wouldn't the negation be "For all people, there is somebody who is not that person's child"? (I'm a little rusty on this kind of logic, so if somebody else replies with something else, go with that.)

{\displaystyle \forall }
x
{\displaystyle \in }
M:
{\displaystyle \exists }
y
{\displaystyle \in }
M: p(p(y,x),x)

By definition of p(x,y), isn't this saying that p(y,x) is the parent of x? Should maybe there be a third variable to indicate the parent (that is, the person between the grandparent and the child)?

{\displaystyle \exists }
X, y
{\displaystyle \in }
M:
{\displaystyle \forall }
z
{\displaystyle \in }
M:
{\displaystyle \lnot }
(p(z,x) v p(z,y))

I think this will work.

{\displaystyle \exists }
X, y
{\displaystyle \in }
M:
{\displaystyle \forall }
z
{\displaystyle \in }
M:
{\displaystyle \lnot }
(p(z,x) v p(z,y))
To me this says that there exist two people, i.e. 'x' and 'y' neither of whom has a parent. I wonder if this is a typo since you only need to change one operation in there to make it correct.

To me this says that there exist two people, i.e. 'x' and 'y' neither of whom has a parent. I wonder if this is a typo since you only need to change one operation in there to make it correct.
Actually I am wrong too: my change would say that one can find a pair of people who aren't siblings. This shows that I am pretty rusty on predicate logic too :(