Present value help

Foodloverticks

Im currently working on present value in math. I was doing pretty good until we switched the equation around to do mortgage i understand how to get the values to fit into the equation. But this book is notorious for only giving half examples that i have issues following. Ive tried to solve it quite a few slightly different ways but im not entirely sure what they did to get the answer any help would be greatly appreciated

A house is purchased for $150 000 with a 10% down payment. What is the monthly mortgage payment on the house with a 5 year term at 6% compounded monthly amortized over 25 years?

Attachments

• 16648126777077729517534236013673.jpg
    16648126777077729517534236013673.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Im currently working on present value in math. I was doing pretty good until we switched the equation around to do mortgage i understand how to get the values to fit into the equation. But this book is notorious for only giving half examples that i have issues following. Ive tried to solve it quite a few slightly different ways but im not entirely sure what they did to get the answer any help would be greatly appreciated

A house is purchased for $150 000 with a 10% down payment. What is the monthly mortgage payment on the house with a 5 year term at 6% compounded monthly amortized over 25 years?
What is your way? Did you match the answer? (Please share)

What is your way? Did you match the answer? (Please share)
Pv=r(1-(1+i)^-n)
i

Im having issue understanding the books solution im not sure if im doing it wrong or if im just consistently making a whole bunch of small mistakes (missing a decimal, multiplying exponents etc) and im just not noticing my mistakes but i am using the formula correctly but I always find that they don't show enough work for me to find my mistakes when im unable to come up with the answer provided

Pv=r(1-(1+i)^-n)
i

Im having issue understanding the books solution im not sure if im doing it wrong or if im just consistently making a whole bunch of small mistakes (missing a decimal, multiplying exponents etc) and im just not noticing my mistakes but i am using the formula correctly but I always find that they don't show enough work for me to find my mistakes when im unable to come up with the answer provided

[math]PV=R\cdot \frac{1-(1+i)^{-n}}{i}[/math]Plugging the givens into the equation:
[math]PV= 0.9 \times 150,000=135,000\\ n=25\times12=300\\ i=\frac{0.06}{12}=0.005[/math]

Last edited:

In order to help you, we really need to see at least one of your attempts, to show us where you are going wrong.

As I understand it, your difficulty is either in evaluating

1664838896953.png

to get the number 155.207, or perhaps in how they solved for R by dividing. Assuming the former, it is likely to be in how you used a calculator. Depending on the kind of calculator, you can either type in the expression more or less as it looks, something like

(1-(1+.005)^(-)300)/.005 = 155.20686​

or calculate one step at a time:

1+.005 = 1.005​
1.005^-300 = 0.22396568​
1-0.22396568 = 0.77603432​
0.77603432/.005 = 155.20686​

If you didn't get those numbers at any point, show us what you did and what you got, as I just did, and we can diagnose your difficulty.