probabilities: I solved it 2 different ways; it's 0.125 but in book they wrote 0.25

Barbra

I solved it with 2 different ways and it is 0.125 but in the book they wrote it 0.25

Attachments

• 16759892603589071609496160263659.jpg
    16759892603589071609496160263659.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 4
I solved it with 2 different ways and it is 0.125 but in the book they wrote it 0.25
Please show us the problem and answer in the book, preferably as an image.

And also show us what you find for P(A∩B). I find it very interesting.

My suspicion is that someone has misstated the problem.

We can find P(A∩B) by knowing P(AUB)
0.3=0.2+0.6-P(A∩B)
So it's 0.5

The book didn't answered it.. It just wrote the final number.. And maybe it's Typo

We can find P(A∩B) by knowing P(AUB)
0.3=0.2+0.6-P(A∩B)
So it's 0.5
Really? I get -0.5, which is of course impossible! So the problem doesn't make sense.
The book didn't answered it.. It just wrote the final number.. And maybe it's Typo
But you said,
I call the number an answer; I suppose what you mean is that they don't give a full solution. But that isn't what I asked for.

It seems most likely to be the solution to a different problem than what you are doing. That's why I want to see the actual problem you are solving.

Attachments

• 16759906117203418270936694550803.jpg
    16759906117203418270936694550803.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 1
Really? I get -0.5, which is of course impossible! So the problem doesn't make sense.

But you said,

I call the number an answer; I suppose what you mean is that they don't give a full solution. But that isn't what I asked for.

It seems most likely to be the solution to a different problem than what you are doing. That's why I want to see the actual problem you are solving.
I mean they didn't wrote the way of solving or the Steps.. They wrote the final answer only 0.25

But you said,

How did you get - 0.5?

Again, here is what I asked for:

Please show an image of the problem itself in the book, so we can be sure what you are solving.

But you said,

The book is in Arabic Unfortunately..
Can you please try to solve this problem, i said maybe 0.25 is wrong but we want to solve the problem and to get the correct answers, so can you please show to me how to solve it and to get the right answer?

How did you get - 0.5?
Please take the time to think; you have been responding too quickly. Can you see how I got that? Try!

The book is in Arabic Unfortunately..
I don't care if it's in Arabic. We may still be able to see what is going on if you show it to us. (And maybe some of us understand Arabic?) But please also give us a translation of the problem itself, as exactly as possible.

Can you please try to solve this problem, i said maybe 0.25 is wrong but we want to solve the problem and to get the correct answers, so can you please show to me how to solve it and to get the right answer?
You seem to be missing the point. The problem is invalid! It is impossible for P(A) + P(B) to be greater than P(A∪B).

Your answer is "correct", as far as any answer can be; but they presumably answered another, valid question, which would be why their answer is different.

If you copied everything correctly, then they have printed it incorrectly, so it isn't worth trying to solve.

@Barbra: I just realized I asked the wrong question here. Yes, P(A∩B) = 0.5; but P(A∩Bc) = P(A) - P(A∩B) = 0.2 - 0.5 = -0.3. (I misread my Venn diagram.) What's impossible in the statement of the problem is for P(A∪B) to be less than P(B). I'm sorry for the mistake.

(But it isn't clear exactly which facts are given, since you stated six redundant facts, so I can't be sure where a mistake was made.)