Probability dice role

Juju01

Hi, I'm having trouble understanding what I'm supposed to do on this question. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• 1645284981845.png
    1645284981845.png
    139.6 KB · Views: 6
Hi, I'm having trouble understanding what I'm supposed to do on this question. Can anyone help?
1645313612675.png

Look up the definition you were given for a probability function. You need to determine whether Q(A) satisfies all the requirements.

The main issue will be whether the sum of Q(A) over all possible events A is 1. This will be the sum of all sums, over b. Make b equal to that sum, and you will have the answer.

Incidentally, I don't think I've ever seen the word "eyes" used this way, evidently to mean what I would call "pips".

CORRECTION: Now that I reread this, I'm not sure I understand it. How can a single roll of one die result in an event {1,2,3}? Or, am I confusing events with outcomes?

Last edited:
CORRECTION: Now that I reread this, I'm not sure I understand it. How can a single roll of one die result in an event {1,2,3}? Or, am I confusing events with outcomes?
I have the same problem distinguishing between events and outcomes. I think the question misused the word "event A", instead of "outcome A".

1645319827474.png
The way that I read is this: the fact that the die is unfair has no effect on the question unless more information is given.
We are told that the set of outcomes is [imath]~\large\Omega=\{1,2,3,4,5,6\}~[/imath]. Using the standard vocabulary of probability an event is any subset of [imath]~\large\Omega~[/imath]. That is why it is given that [imath]\large sum(\emptyset)=0[/imath]
If that reading is correct the we want to find a [imath]\bf b[/imath] such that [imath]\Large\sum\limits_{A \subseteq \Omega } {Q(A)} = 1[/imath]

[imath][/imath][imath][/imath]

A common problem in answering questions is that we don't know the context, which is why I often ask for the definitions the student was given, though they rarely respond. I didn't have time before to look up the definition I belatedly realized was in view, so I could check my thinking.

In this case, the "probability function" is not a function of outcomes, but of events; so I think we're talking about something at least close to this:

In this formulation, the fact corresponding to the sum of probabilities of outcomes being 1 is [imath]Q(\Omega) = 1[/imath] (the second axiom).

Assuming the third axiom (additivity) holds, which we haven't been told to prove, that is equivalent not to [imath]\sum\limits_{A \subseteq \Omega } {Q(A)} = 1[/imath] but to [imath]\sum\limits_{x \in \Omega } {Q(\{x\})} = 1[/imath].

This will also eventually reveal in what way the die is unfair, as one realizes what Q means. (What is Q({1}), for example?)

I was going to add the definitions I was given however most of them do have not very English formulations as such would be even more confusing. Thanks for all the help, I'm going to try and work this problem more today ! :)

Sorry for my mixing up the notation (I fell back into old habits, Prof. Moore used [imath]A+B[/imath] for [imath]A\cup B[/imath].
We want to find a [imath]\bf b[/imath] such that [imath]Q\left(\bigcup\limits_{A \subseteq \Omega } A\right) = 1[/imath] or so that [imath]Q[/imath] is a probability function.
I make [imath]\large\bf b=21\text{ i.e. } sum(\{1,2,3,4,5,6\})=21[/imath]
[imath][/imath]