Probability Help! Its urgent.

bubble tea

The Blue Jays are underdogs in a best-of-five playoff series against Boston. The probability of the Jays winning each game is 0.375. If the Jays win the first game in this series, what is the probability they will win the series? (Hint: draw a tree diagram and consider each case that would lead to the Jays winning the series.) The answer is supposed to be 48% but I dont know how.

The Blue Jays are underdogs in a best-of-five playoff series against Boston. The probability of the Jays winning each game is 0.375. If the Jays win the first game in this series, what is the probability they will win the series? (Hint: draw a tree diagram and consider each case that would lead to the Jays winning the series.) The answer is supposed to be 48% but I dont know how.

Did you try drawing the tree diagram? Please show what you did, so we can see if you are going in the wrong direction.

As an example, one way to win is WWW; the probability is (0.375)^2, because we already know the first W. Another is WWLW, with probability (0.375)^2(0.625); do you see why? Keep going.

Here is my tree diagram and below are the 16 possible outcomes.
WWWW
WWWL
WWLW
WWLL
WLWW
WLWL
WLLW
WLLL
LWWW
LWWL
LWLW
LWLL
LLWW
LLWL
LLLW
LLLL

Attachments

• IMG_9039.jpeg
    IMG_9039.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
Ok I had asked you to list the 16 possible outcomes which you have done.
Now, go through the list and, remembering that the Jays have already won the first game, highlight the ones where the Jays win 3 out of 5, ie 2 out of the remaining 4. Also once they win 2 more, no more games need to be played.

I've done a few for you. See if you can follow that process through. Then show us your amended tree diagram and we can help you with the probability.

WWWW
WWWL
WWLW
WWLL
After WW, the 4th and 5th games are not played, so those branches can be deleted

WLWW - in this case the 5th game is not played, so delete the last branch
WLWL
WLLW
WLLL
LWWW
LWWL
LWLW
LWLL
LLWW
LLWL
LLLW
LLLL

WWWW
WWWL
WWLW
WWLL
WLWW
WLWL
WLLW
LWWW
LWWL
LWLW
LLWW

Attachments

• IMG_9044.jpeg
    IMG_9044.jpeg
    953.1 KB · Views: 3
I am still unsure about the reference from post #2. Can you re-explain it with an example for the first few outcomes?

I am still unsure about the reference from post #2. Can you re-explain it with an example for the first few outcomes?
I already did! See post #3.

In order to have an efficient discussion, you must try things and show your attempts even if you are sure they are wrong. We can't steer you if you aren't moving.