Probability Math Application Problem

kevinenmy

Hello everyone: I have encountered difficulties in solving this math problem
Hope you can get help thank you!!

The bag has two colors of red balls and basketballs. Xiao Ming and Xiao Hua draw the balls in the bag. It is known that Xiao Ming draws 4 blue balls out of every 5 red balls drawn, and Xiao Hua draws 4 red balls out of every 4 red balls drawn. Two blue balls were drawn, and today they both drew one ball from the bag at the same time.
Just ask:
(a) What is the probability that two people will draw a blue ball at the same time?
(b) What is the probability that one of them will draw a blue ball?

Last edited:
Hello everyone: I have encountered difficulties in solving this math problem
Hope you can get help thank you!!

The bag has two colors of red balls and basketballs. Xiao Ming and Xiao Hua draw the balls in the bag. It is known that Xiao Ming draws 4 blue balls out of every 5 red balls drawn, and Xiao Hua draws 4 red balls out of every 4 red balls drawn. Two blue balls were drawn, and today they both drew one ball from the bag at the same time.
Just ask:
(a) What is the probability that two people will draw a blue ball at the same time?
(b) What is the probability that one of them will draw a blue ball?
We'll want to see what your specific difficulties are; please show what you tried.

But the problem as given makes no sense to me at all:
  • Are there "two colors of red balls"? Is blue a kind of red?
  • How can different people draw colors from the same bag with different probabilities?
  • What does "4 blue balls out of every 5 red balls" mean? (I'm guessing you meant that the ratio of red:blue is 4:5, but "out of" doesn't mean that.)
  • Even more odd, what does "4 red balls out of every 4 red balls" mean?
  • Were the two blue balls kept out? How does that affect things, if we don't know the total number of balls?