Probability/Statistics problem

JBeahn

Someone please help me with the below question.

Explain what is wrong with the following statements. Use complete sentences.
If there is a 60% chance of rain on Saturday and a 70% chance of rain on Sunday, then there is a 130% chance of rain over the weekend.

If there is a 60% chance of rain on Saturday and a 70% chance of rain on Sunday, then there is a 130% chance of rain over the weekend.
Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.
I don't know the exact formula to solve this question and I don't know what is really wrong. Please assist with the below.

I don't know the exact formula to solve this question and I don't know what is really wrong. Please assist with the below.

There is no formula involved. Read the instruction carefully.

Can there be more than [imath]100\%[/imath] chance of rain?
Do you know that a probability function is [imath]0\le\mathscr{P}(x)\le 1~?[/imath]

Math is not about formulas, it is about understanding what is going on. Then using logic, the formula (if there is one) is obvious.

You say that you don't know what is wrong. Can you explain then how the chance of rain can be more than 100%?

I suggest a somewhat simpler problem first:
If there is a 60% chance of rain on Saturday and a 70% chance of rain on Sunday
and those events are independent, then what is the chance of rain on both days of the weekend ?
Do you know how to solve this problem?

I suggest a somewhat simpler problem first:

and those events are independent, then what is the chance of rain on both days of the weekend ?
Do you know how to solve this problem?
Were is it given that the two events are iindependent?

If they aren't then I don't believe one can solve either problem without knowing the nature of the dependency.
Did you read the post? It says:

There are several different answers you could give, depending on what you focus on. You could just say why 130% is not valid as an answer in the first place; or why addition is inappropriate; or, as some have pointed out, that there is not enough information to answer the question. Any one of those is probably acceptable.

So, what ideas do you have now? We don't just give answers, but you should have seen enough to be able to write one, and we can help you improve it. Just remember to use complete sentences ...