Probability

Hira Javaid

In a group of students, the probability that they get greater than 90% on their statistics test is 0.42, the
probability that they slept at least 8 hours the night before the test is 0.516, the probability that they study with other classmates is 0.432, the probability that they get marks greater than 90% on their test and slept at least 8 hours the night before the test is 0.244, the probability that study with classmates and slept at
least 8 hours before the quiz is 0.166, they probability that they get marks greater than 90% on their test and study
with classmates is 0.194, and probability that they do all three is 0.104.
Let A = getting greater than 90% on their test Let B = sleeping at least 8 hours Let C = studying with others
Determine the probability that a randomly selected student:
(a) gets marks greater than 90% on their test, but did not sleep at least 8 hours the night before the test?
(b) does not get greater than 90% and does not sleep at least 8 hours, given that you know they study with other
classmates?
Need help in solving this please.

In a group of students, the probability that they get greater than 90% on their statistics test is 0.42, the
probability that they slept at least 8 hours the night before the test is 0.516, the probability that they study with other classmates is 0.432, the probability that they get marks greater than 90% on their test and slept at least 8 hours the night before the test is 0.244, the probability that study with classmates and slept at
least 8 hours before the quiz is 0.166, they probability that they get marks greater than 90% on their test and study
with classmates is 0.194, and probability that they do all three is 0.104.
Let A = getting greater than 90% on their test Let B = sleeping at least 8 hours Let C = studying with others
Determine the probability that a randomly selected student:
(a) gets marks greater than 90% on their test, but did not sleep at least 8 hours the night before the test?
(b) does not get greater than 90% and does not sleep at least 8 hours, given that you know they study with other
classmates?
Need help in solving this please.
I would start by making a Venn diagram and filling in what I can. If you want to approach it that way, please show how far you get. If you prefer another way, tell us about it.

Keep in mind that in order to help, we need to see what help you need. You have read this, right?

Yes
I would start by making a Venn diagram and filling in what I can. If you want to approach it that way, please show how far you get. If you prefer another way, tell us about it.

Keep in mind that in order to help, we need to see what help you need. You have read this, right?
I have read this sir!
I want to do it in a some way like bayes theorem or any other similar formula that would be easy if you can guide me according to that

Yes

I have read this sir!
I want to do it in a some way like bayes theorem or any other similar formula that would be easy if you can guide me according to that
I've suggested something to try; if you think Bayes is easier, show us what you've done that makes you think that. If you haven't actually done any work yet, then try what I've suggested.

(This doesn't look like Bayes to me. It looks very much like a Venn diagram with three sets. And you may not even have to fill out the whole thing to answer the particular questions they've asked.)

This is not [imath]P(A | B)[/imath], but [imath]P(A\cap\overline{B})[/imath]. There is nothing conditional in this part.

Also, when you say
1633726869212.png
you are assuming A and B are independent. On what grounds do you make that assumption? In fact, you are given all three of these quantities, and the statement is not true!

classmates?
This asks for [imath]P(\overline{A}\cap\overline{B} | C)[/imath]. That is not

1633727129655.png
as you say it is.

Are you talking now about a different problem??

N
This is not [imath]P(A | B)[/imath], but [imath]P(A\cap\overline{B})[/imath]. There is nothing conditional in this part.

Also, when you say
View attachment 29173
you are assuming A and B are independent. On what grounds do you make that assumption? In fact, you are given all three of these quantities, and the statement is not true!

This asks for [imath]P(\overline{A}\cap\overline{B} | C)[/imath]. That is not

View attachment 29174
as you say it is.

Are you talking now about a different problem??
No i am talking about the same question. That was what i understood i am sorry sir. Can you tell me how to find \overline{A}

No i am talking about the same question. That was what i understood i am sorry sir.
So you're saying you misunderstood the meaning of the problem. That is one of the reasons we ask to see your work, so we can tell where you might be thinking incorrectly.

Can you tell me how to find \(\overline{A}\)
You may well use a different notation; this is one way to say "the complement of A". What notation do you use? It is also written as [imath]A^c[/imath] or [imath]A'[/imath]. And [imath]P(A')=1-P(A)[/imath].

So you're saying you misunderstood the meaning of the problem. That is one of the reasons we ask to see your work, so we can tell where you might be thinking incorrectly.

You may well use a different notation; this is one way to say "the complement of A". What notation do you use? It is also written as [imath]A^c[/imath] or [imath]A'[/imath]. And [imath]P(A')=1-P(A)[/imath].
Yes i know this notation. Thanks. I will do it and show you.

There is one more question sir..I am doing it but i am not 100% sure about its correctness. Can you help me with that also

This is where I tend to use a Venn diagram in order to see the relationship among the various sets.

Without that, you might just think about the relationship between [imath]P(A)[/imath], [imath]P(A\cap B)[/imath], and [imath]P(A\cap\overline{B})[/imath].

What to do next for part b?.. should i use the formula for P(A/B)=P(A and B)/P(B)... If yes how can i find P(A' ∩B' and C)
IMG_20211009_035456_325.jpg

The above step is wrong i think so..to find A'∩B' i have to find (A ∪ B)' then P(A'∩B')= 1- P(A ∪ B)'
is it correct?

What to do next for part b?.. should i use the formula for P(A/B)=P(A and B)/P(B)... If yes how can i find P(A' ∩B' and C)
1633738705655.png

This is wrong. How much have you learned about set operations? Have you learned De Morgan's Laws?

But I still recommend making a Venn diagram, which helps tremendously in keeping track of relationships between the three sets. Have you tried doing what I suggest yet?
The above step is wrong i think so..to find A'∩B' i have to find (A ∪ B)' then P(A'∩B')= 1- P(A ∪ B)'
is it correct?
Yes, that's right.

View attachment 29178

This is wrong. How much have you learned about set operations? Have you learned De Morgan's Laws?

But I still recommend making a Venn diagram, which helps tremendously in keeping track of relationships between the three sets. Have you tried doing what I suggest yet?

Yes, that's right.
Yes i have read De morgan's law..
I am finding it more difficult to do it by venn diagram Sir