Proof problem

Const.engineer

Hello, can someone help me with this problem.

a and b are integers, whose remaider is 2 when divided by 3. Proof that there is no x which will solve the equation x^2+x*a+b=0.

That statement is NOT true.
Here's a counter-example:

Let a=8 and b=11 (Note: when 8 is divided by 3, the remainder is 2, same with 11)
Equation becomes x^2 +8x+11=0
Does this have a solution (real number solution)?
Discriminant is 8^2-4*1*11 >0, so real solutions exist.

Can you give the question exactly as it was given to you?

Hello, thank you. So there is no integer x which will solve the equation? Question is exactly the same but x should be an integer which I didn’t mention. Is that enough to proof that there is not integer x to solve the equation in any integers for a and b? (Remainder is 2, when divided by 3).

Hello, can someone help me with this problem.

a and b are integers, whose remaider is 2 when divided by 3.
So a= 3p+ 2 and b= 3q+2 for some integers p and q.

Proof that there is no x which will solve the equation x^2+x*a+b=0.
"Proof" is a noun. The verb is "prove"
\(\displaystyle x^2+ (3p+2)x+ (3q+2)= 0\).
Strictly speaking, the statement here, that there is no x which will solve the equation is false! Every quadratic equation has a solution. If, for example, you take p= q= 1 then a= b= 5. The equation is x^2+ 5x+ 5= 0 which has solutions 5/2+ sqrt(5)/2 and 5/2- sqrt(5)/2. Perhaps they mean "no integer solution". What do you get if you apply the "quadratic formula" or "complete the square?

As has been pointed out, the proposition as you have given it is false. I am going to assume that what is intended is a proof that there is no solution in integers.

Halls of Ivy gave one suggestion to try. Here is another.

[MATH]\exists \text { integers } p \text { and } q \text { such that } a = 3p + 2 \text { and } b = 3q + 2.[/MATH]
Why is that true?

According to the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra

[MATH]\exists \text { numbers } u \text { and } v \text { such that } (x - u)(x - v) = x^2 + ax + b.[/MATH]
[MATH]\therefore u + v = a = 3p + 2 \text { and } uv = 3q + 2.[/MATH]
Now think about a proof by contradiction.