proof

Zfuss12

I know the distance and slope formula, but i dont know what i need to prove in order to prove a quadrilateral is a rhombus but not a square...All help would be greatly appreciated.

The methodology and tools for the proof are kind of going to depend on the information you've been given.

Please reply with the full and exact text of the exercise, the complete instructions, a detailed description of any associated graphic, and a listing of the steps you have tried thus far.

Thank you.

Eliz.l

stapel said:
The methodology and tools for the proof are kind of going to depend on the information you've been given.

Please reply with the full and exact text of the exercise, the complete instructions, a detailed description of any associated graphic, and a listing of the steps you have tried thus far.

Thank you.

Eliz.l

Hey, sorry, Here is the full test, Jim is experimenting with a new drawing program on his computer. he created a quadrilateral TEAM, with coordinates T(-2,3), E(-5,2), A(2,-1) and M(5,6). Jim believes that he has created a rhombus but not a square, prove that jim is correct.

So far I have graphed the points and figured out the distance and slope of each line....I dont know what i need to prove though in order to show that he correct but i do know how to prove such information...

A parallelogram is a rhombus iff the diagonals are perpendicular. This may be a start for your proof. Using the coordinates you have been given, see if the diagonals are perpendicular.

I know how to prove its a rhombus im just not quite sure how to prove its not a square?

Are the lines mutually perpendicular?

Eliz.

Hello, Zfuss12!

Jim is experimenting with a new drawing program on his computer.
He created a quadrilateral TEAM, with coordinates T(-2,3), E(-5,2), A(2,-1) and M(5,6).
Jim believes that he has created a rhombus but not a square.
Prove that jim is correct.
You say you graphed the points? .Do you know what a rhombus is?

Code:
    . . . . . . | . . . . . *M
    . . . . . . | . . . . . .
    . . . .T* . | . . . . . .
    .E* . . . . | . . . . . .
    - - - - - - + - - - - - -
    . . . . . . | . *A. . . .
A rhombus is a four-sided figure with four equal sides.

Looking at the diagram, I don't think so!