Proving an equation

shelarson

The equation is

sin?/(1-cos? )-(1+cos?)/sin? = 0

sin?/(1-cos? )*(1+cos?)/(1+cos? )=(sin? (1+cos?))/(1-cos^2? )

(sin? (1+cos?))/sin^2? =(1+cos?)/sin?

(1+cos?)/sin? -(1+cos?)/sin? =0

The part that I am confused about is the *(1+cos?)/(1+cos? ). I need to justify that 1+cos? does not equal 0, because you can not divide by 0. What is the proof that goes with that part of the equation.

Thanks, Shelly

Hi Shelly,

here's how you should approach this....

\(\displaystyle \frac{sin\theta}{1-cos\theta}-\frac{1+cos\theta}{sin\theta}=0\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{sin\theta}{sin\theta}\ \frac{sin\theta}{1-cos\theta}-\frac{1-cos\theta}{1-cos\theta}\ \frac{1+cos\theta}{sin\theta}=0\)

\(\displaystyle The\ numerator\ must\ be\ zero, so\)

\(\displaystyle sin^2\theta=(1-cos\theta)(1+cos\theta)\)

\(\displaystyle sin^2\theta=1+cos\theta-cos\theta-cos^2\theta\)

\(\displaystyle sin^2\theta+cos^2\theta=1....\ true\)

Hello, shelarson!

\(\displaystyle \text{Prove that: }\;\frac{\sin\theta}{1-\cos\theta} - \frac{1+\cos\theta}{\sin\theta} \:=\:0\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Multiply the first fraction by }\frac{1+\cos\theta}{1+\cos\theta}\)

.\(\displaystyle \frac{\sin\theta}{1-\cos\theta}\cdot\frac{1+\cos\theta}{1+\cos\theta} \;=\;\frac{\sin\theta(1+\cos\theta)}{1-\cos^2\!\theta} \;=\;\frac{\sin\theta(1+\cos\theta)}{\sin^2\theta} \;=\;\frac{1+\cos\theta}{\sin\theta}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Therefore, the problem becomes: }\;\frac{1+\cos\theta}{\sin\theta} - \frac{1+\cos\theta}{\sin\theta} \;=\;0\)

. . \(\displaystyle \sim\;\sim\;\sim \quad \text{EDIT}\;\sim \;\sim\;\sim\)

As chrisr pointed out, the original denominators must not be zero.

\(\displaystyle \text{Then: }\:\sin\theta \,\neq\,0 \quad\Rightarrow\quad \theta \,\neq\,\pi\)

\(\displaystyle \text{If }\theta \,\neq\,\pi\,\text{ then: }1 + \cos\theta\,\neq\,0\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Hence, we }can\text{ freely multiply by }\frac{1+\cos\theta}{1+\cos\theta}\)

\(\displaystyle I'm\ sorry,\ Shelly,\)

\(\displaystyle I\ did\ not\ read\ your\ question\ properly.\)

\(\displaystyle 1+cos\theta\ is\ zero\ for\ cos\theta=-1,\ so\ \theta=\pi\ radians.\)

\(\displaystyle Using\ the\ same\ logic,\ the\ original\ equation\ has\ denominators\ 1-cos\theta\ and\ sin\theta,\)
\(\displaystyle which\ ought\ not\ be\ zero.\)