Puzzle Help

nutellagv

I have been trying to figure out the answer to this question and I cannot seem to figure it out

1646947720589.png

My answers were: 120 using permutations and 30 by writing out the possibilities of one person and then multiplying by 5

I have been trying to figure out the answer to this question and I cannot seem to figure it out

View attachment 31613

My answers were: 120 using permutations and 30 by writing out the possibilities of one person and then multiplying by 5
I don't want to give too good a hint for a contest that is open. But since one of your answers is a reasonably small number, you may want to try listing 30 distinct matches, and see if (a) you can't do that, or (b) you can see that there are more.

You may also want to think carefully about the requirements, including what count as different matches. Is T&S vs F&N different from S&T vs F&N, for example? Or from F&N vs T&S?

I don't want to give too good a hint for a contest that is open. But since one of your answers is a reasonably small number, you may want to try listing 30 distinct matches, and see if (a) you can't do that, or (b) you can see that there are more.

You may also want to think carefully about the requirements, including what count as different matches. Is T&S vs F&N different from S&T vs F&N, for example? Or from F&N vs T&S?
Thanks for not giving me a direct answer, since it would ruin the contest. I'll try your suggestions. Thanks!

4 people play and one person sits out.
There are 5 ways to pick 4 people to play (1st way leave out Tim, 2nd way leave out Simone, ..., 5th way leave out Neil). Apparently you too got 5.
Now pick one of those group of 4 players. How may different pairs are there? Don't just state a number! List them!