Q: Let S = {1,2,5,6 } Define a relation R on S of at least four order pairs, as (a,b

sMilips

Q: Let S = {1,2,5,6 }
Define a relation R on S of at least four order pairs, as (a,b)  R iff a*b is even (i.e. a multiply by b is even)

Define a relation R on S of at least four order pairs, as (a,b)  R iff a*b is even (i.e. a multiply by b is even)

This question appears to be incomplete. Please correct it.

R= {(1,2), (5,2), (6,2), (6,1), (6,6)} Is this what you want? If so, where did you get stuck??

Do you realize that \(\displaystyle (x,y)\in R\iff x\text{ or }y \text{ is even }.\)
So you explain why \(\displaystyle R=[S\times\{2,6\}]\cup[\{2,6\}\times S]\) is a complete description of \(\displaystyle R\).

Do you realize that \(\displaystyle (x,y)\in R\iff x\text{ or }y \text{ is even }.\)
So you explain why \(\displaystyle R=[S\times\{2,6\}]\cup[\{2,6\}\times S]\) is a complete description of \(\displaystyle R\).
Wouldn't R be a subset of \(\displaystyle [S\times\{2,6\}]\cup[\{2,6\}\times S]\)??

Wouldn't R be a subset of \(\displaystyle [S\times\{2,6\}]\cup[\{2,6\}\times S]\)??

I think that's because of the "iff".

My reason for supposing that the problem is incomplete (aside from the bad character) was that they have fully defined the relation; so either they are just asking to list the elements of R, or they want you to determine something specific about it that was not included.

In particular, the phrase "of at least four ordered pairs" seems unnecessary.

I think that's because of the "iff".

My reason for supposing that the problem is incomplete (aside from the bad character) was that they have fully defined the relation; so either they are just asking to list the elements of R, or they want you to determine something specific about it that was not included.

In particular, the phrase "of at least four ordered pairs" seems unnecessary.
OK, thanks