Question about free online math classes.

Burned_Follower

(Disclaimer: I literally just discovered this forum after googling for math forums. I'm currently exploring this website to see if I can find answers to my questions, so sorry in advanced for any stupid questions)

I am about to start college early next year for engineering. I'll be working on an associates degree in engineering, and then I'll be working on a bachleors degree in mechanical engineering after that...but to start the associates degree program I need to have my math skills to the point where I'm ready to take Calculus 1 for the first time.

For the purpose of saving money, my goal is to use free online math courses to go from pre algebra level to being ready for Calculus 1. There are soooo many free resources online for me to do just that, but I have specific questions, that hopefully I can get an answer to here:

1. I'm going to find/take a free pre-algebra class again online as my own way of reviewing what I learned in that algebra class I took at a college a couple years ago. I already found a lot of places online to do that, but is there a specific one ya'all would recommend? I'm 34 years old if that helps you answer that question.

2. Is there such a thing as a website that generates random math problems(like pre algebra equations)? It's one thing to review a lesson on how to do a specific type of equation, but it's another thing to come up with equations to do, for the purpose of practice. Is there such a website that does that for different types of math? That way if I learn how to do a new type of an equation, but don't feel confident about it, I can address that issue by simply practicing doing those type of equations. I actually just purchased and mounted a 7 foot chalk board in my house just so I have the space to practice my math.

3. Unfortunately, I lost the calculator I used when I was taking that algebra class a couple years ago but I discovered a lot of free apps I can download on my iphone 8+ that'll do the same job. Of all those apps, is there a specific one ya'all would reccomend I use since my goal is to go from pre-algebra, all the way to pre-calculus?)

Last edited:
First, I like Khan Academy.

Second, buy second hand old editions of books ofn algebra I and Ii with an answer keys. Math is learned by actually doing it. So do ALL the problems in a section before looking at the answer key for that section so you don't inadvertently cheat.(Usually, there will be an answer key for half the problems.) You may well find it is super-easy; you probably learned more than you think you did.

Third, come here if you get a problem wrong. You can also come here to ask if your answer is correct for problems that are not anwered in the answer key. Be sure to read READ BEFORE POSTING before you start asking for help.

oh ok, thanks! Any idea where I can find old editions of books on algebra I and II? In a couple days, I plan on going to the nearest public library to see if they have any books on math. The idea is for me to go the library route until I can find old textbooks that I can actually own.

This brings up another question about some advice someone gave me years ago: that college students tend to sell their used textbooks when done with a math class instead of throwing them away. Where do students usually sell their books?

oh ok, thanks! Any idea where I can find old editions of books on algebra I and II? In a couple days, I plan on going to the nearest public library to see if they have any books on math. The idea is for me to go the library route until I can find old textbooks that I can actually own.

This brings up another question about some advice someone gave me years ago: that college students tend to sell their used textbooks when done with a math class instead of throwing them away. Where do students usually sell their books?
Where do students usually sell their books? ...... Usually back to the "college book store".

oh ok. There are a few colleges close to where I live, I'll check out their bookstores if they're still open. thanks

HERE is a good start. Use that link as a jumping-off place.

Usually students put up a flyer on the bulletin boards advertising their books for sale. I had a schoolmate who would go to a class that was going to be using his book on the 1st day of class and sold every book he did not want. Of course with the pandemic this may not be possible. I would stay far away from the bookstore as possible as they charge a lot for books.

Amazon and ebay are always a good start.

I would advise you to study from free academy for math which is on youtube.