Question about integration

Kal335

Hi everyone,

I have a question about integration/derivation.

Here is my question.
You are certainly familiar with this equation.
x= 1/2 at2+ v0t+x0[MATH][/MATH]
So looking at v0 you certainly know that i can derive the x in respect to t to get it like so :

dx/dt = v by multiplying each side by dt i can get dx = v × dt.

so my issue is the 1/2 at2.
Now to get 1/2 at2,i try deriving twice x like this :
d2x/dt2 = a then multiplying both side by dt2 i end up with x = a × dt2 / d2 while i am trying to get back the 1/2 at2.

Any idea on what i am doing wrong ? Thanks

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I have a question about integration/derivation.

Here is my question.
You are certainly familiar with this equation.
x= 1/2 at2+ v0t+x0[MATH][/MATH]
So looking at v0 you certainly know that i can derive the x in respect to t to get it like so :

dx/dt = v by multiplying each side by dt i can get dx = v × dt.
No, that's not at all correct! Differentiating with respect to t you get at+ v0.

so my issue is the 1/2 at2.
Now to get 1/2 at2,i try deriving twice x like this :
d2x/dt2 = a then multiplying both side by dt2 i end up with x = a × dt2 / d2 while i am trying to get back the 1/2 at2.

Any idea on what i am doing wrong ? Thanks
Well, first, you started by differentiating incorrectly! The first derivative is, as I said, at+ v0.
The second thing is that, while dx/dt= f is the same as dx= f dt, d2x/dt2= f is NOT the same as "d2x= fdt". Instead, use the fact that d2x/dt2= d/dt(dx/dt)= a so that, integrating once, dx/dt= at+ constant. Taking t= 0, since we are told that the speed at t= 0 is v0, constant= v0. dx/dt= at+ v0 so that, integrating again, x= (a/2)t2+ v0+ constant. That constant is the x0 in you original equation.

Thanks for replying.
Maybe i was not clear enough.Sorry.

When i said differentiating x with respect to t,i didn't mean the function : x(t)=1/2at2+v0t+x0 to get at+v0t

I am not trying to differentiate the whole function, i was trying to express the term 'at2/2' in terms of dx.

Such as dx = v × dt for the velocity.

I hope you understand me.

Then, again, that is not a valid operation. First, the derivative, \(\displaystyle \frac{dx}{dt}\) is NOT a fraction! However, it is the limit of a fraction, \(\displaystyle \lim_{\Delta t\to 0}\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}\), so that is can be treated like a fraction. We can, through an "abuse of notation", write \(\displaystyle \frac{dx}{dt}=f(t)\) as \(\displaystyle dx= f(t)dt\).

The second derivative, however, is not a fraction and cannot be treated like a fraction: \(\displaystyle \frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= f(t)\) makes sense but \(\displaystyle d^2x= f(t)dt^2\) is meaningless!

Then, again, that is not a valid operation. First, the derivative, \(\displaystyle \frac{dx}{dt}\) is NOT a fraction! However, it is the limit of a fraction, \(\displaystyle \lim_{\Delta t\to 0}\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}\), so that is can be treated like a fraction. We can, through an "abuse of notation", write \(\displaystyle \frac{dx}{dt}=f(t)\) as \(\displaystyle dx= f(t)dt\).

The second derivative, however, is not a fraction and cannot be treated like a fraction: \(\displaystyle \frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= f(t)\) makes sense but \(\displaystyle d^2x= f(t)dt^2\) is meaningless!
Thank you i found the answer i was looking for.