Question about R (hypo)

Good day,

I have following question (an R question)

Load the built-in data set "mtcars" in R.

Please look at the "disp" column, i.e. please create a data set and save the data in a variable.

Please do a simple t-test with significance level α =5% and the parameter "mu" such, that the p-value is less than α. How can you choose the parameter "mu" in general? Please give a brief explanation.

Please briefly interpret the result in terms of null and alternative hypothesis. Please argue with the p-value.

Please now adjust "mu" so that the p-value is greater than α. You have obtained a new result.
Please explain this new result in terms of the null and alternative hypothesis. Please also argue with the new p-value

I will post my efforts with screenshots, tomorrow, since I need to sleep now (must work tomorrow in the morning).

Have a nice day!

OK.... herewith my activities/efforts:

1651696353665.png

New value for "disp" saved as a dataframe:

1651696521755.png

So. First question is herewith answered I guess.

Now. Second question:

1651696679869.png

And here my question begins. What is "mu"?
How can "mu" paramater can be chosen? What's the explanation for?
(Still 2nd question)

In other words following questions (not reesolved and pending for me):

How can you choose the parameter "mu" in general? Please give a brief explanation.

Please briefly interpret the result in terms of null and alternative hypothesis. Please argue with the p-value.

Please now adjust "mu" so that the p-value is greater than α. You have obtained a new result.
Please explain this new result in terms of the null and alternative hypothesis. Please also argue with the new p-value

I don't know how to proceed. Many thanks for your help.

OK.... herewith my activities/efforts:

View attachment 32570

New value for "disp" saved as a dataframe:

View attachment 32571

So. First question is herewith answered I guess.

Now. Second question:

View attachment 32572

And here my question begins. What is "mu"?
How can "mu" paramater can be chosen? What's the explanation for?
(Still 2nd question)

In other words following questions (not reesolved and pending for me):

How can you choose the parameter "mu" in general? Please give a brief explanation.

I don't know how to proceed. Many thanks for your help.
Mu is the population mean. It is often an unknown parameter, because we usually don't know the true population mean, but we can estimate it. First, state your null and alternative hypotheses. Start there.

Last edited: