Question about the integral of 1-cos(x).

333happy

I am given [MATH]\int\sqrt{1-\cos{x}}.[/MATH] I set [MATH]x=2u[/MATH] so that [MATH]dx=2du[/MATH]. Then I get
[MATH] \begin{align*} &2\int\sqrt{1-\cos{2u}}\,du\\ &=2\sqrt{2}\int\sqrt{\frac{1-\cos{2u}}{2}}\,du\\ &=2\sqrt{2}\int\sqrt{\sin^2u}\,du\\ &=2\sqrt{2}\int\sin{u}\,du\\ &=-2\sqrt{2}cos(x/2). \end{align*} [/MATH]It's the same as the answer at the back of the book. My question is, why do we not have plus or minus square root of sin^2 u??? why is it only the positive square root???

The sqrt operation will return the +ve root. Therefore a mistake creeps into your working because...

[math] \sqrt{\sin^{2}\left(u\right)} = \left|\sin\left(u\right)\right| [/math]
If the absolute value symbol is omitted then it would only hold for restricted values of u (where sin(u)>=0). Does the original question restrict the domain of x?

(The work also misses a constant of integration).

Hmm, where did the 2du come from in the 2nd integral? I see that you stated that dx=2du but since the 1st integral has no dx I can't understand where the 2du comes from in that 2nd integral. Maybe you could explain?

If you're saying that the book gives exactly the same answer you show, even though you know yours is wrong, my answer is that they're wrong. WolframAlpha gives something different: https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+sqrt(1−cosx)

I don't always trust them, but this looks right, especially comparing their graph to the graph of your answer.

I suspect that whoever wrote the book's answer failed to consider the domain, even if they used a different method. That's easy to do. Or maybe the problem does specify a restricted domain, and you failed to mention it.

But your method is very creative. As I understand it, you are intentionally aiming at the half-angle formula.

Please read reply #4 by Prof Peterson, then read this:

Attachments

• Integrate[Sqrt[1- cos (x)]dx] - Wolfram_Alpha.pdf
    192.5 KB · Views: 4
The Wolfram step-by-step posted by pka seems quite strange. It follows a method similar to post#1 (making the same error that I pointed out in post#2) and then it suddenly corrects this with an unexplained jump at the last step.

I spotted (by graphing) that Wolfram's final result can be made continuous by adding a floor term...

[math] 4\sqrt{2}\left\lfloor{\frac{x}{2\pi}}\right\rfloor-2\sqrt{1-\cos\left(x\right)}\cdot \cot\left(\frac{x}{2}\right) + constant[/math]

I spotted (by graphing) that Wolfram's final result can be made continuous by adding a floor term...

Actually "continuous" was the wrong word to use. Adding the floor term removes the large steps that appear in the Wolfram result but there remain point discontinuities at n*2*pi (integer n) due to the "cot".