Question i need help with

im_fed_up

if anyone could help me...

Question: a plane flies in a straight line to a city that is 100 kilometers east and 150 kilometers north of the point of departure. How far does it fly?

i know the anwer is about 180.28 kilometers i just dont know how to get it.

Draw the right triangle. Label the base "100" and the height "150". Apply the Pythagorean Theorem to find the length of the hypotenuse.

Please post any further geometry problems in the appropriate category. Thank you.

Eliz.

Thank you!! sorry i put the question in the wrong forum i was just doing my calc homeowork and that was one of the question i guess i didnt even think before i picked the forum.

But i just have one quick question and im not sure what it fits in so i'll just put it here. How would u find the percent increase and the percent decrease of something. They give be a line graph and it says find the percent increase between these two years does anyone know how i would go about that?

i'm not sure but i'm thinking you would take the 2nd yr and subtract the 1st yr's %then if it's pos. it'd be the % increase, if neg, then it'd be the % decreased.

im_fed_up said:
I have tried that, i'v tried many ways but not the right one.
Please show what you have tried, and explain why you think what you've done is not correct. (It is much easier to correct work we can see.) Thank you.

Eliz.

With the percent increase/decrease it is important to get your reference point correct.

use this thinking....
((newl value- original value)/ original value )x 100
A postive value means a increase, and a negative value means a decrease.