Question on Reimann Sums

bbl

I was reviewing past exams and this problem was given:

278843421_1112088079367600_6919450910509117545_n.png
Is it right to say that the integral is [imath]\int_{0}^{10000} \sqrt{x} dx[/imath]? Or is my integral wrong?

This can be remembered by thinking about an extreme case like [imath]\sum_{i=1}^1\sqrt{i}[/imath] which equals 1.
This wouldn't make sense as [imath]\int_1^1\sqrt{x}\,dx[/imath] since this works out to 0.
Good explanation.

hm...I need to review my Riemann Sum definition and give this some thought.
What I would do is to sketch the graph for a smaller case, like the sum from 1 to 4, and think about what integral would correspond to the Riemann sum.

The other issue I hinted at is that there is not really one Riemann sum, but many. You could use a left Riemann sum, or a right Riemann sum, or others, and you'd get a slightly different estimate in each case. So the phrase "the Riemann sum" in the hint is misleading; but "use an integral" in the problem itself is appropriate!

What I would do is to sketch the graph for a smaller case, like the sum from 1 to 4, and think about what integral would correspond to the Riemann sum.
Yes, it is clear from the smaller case.

The other issue I hinted at is that there is not really one Riemann sum, but many. You could use a left Riemann sum, or a right Riemann sum, or others, and you'd get a slightly different estimate in each case. So the phrase "the Riemann sum" in the hint is misleading; but "use an integral" in the problem itself is appropriate!
Of course, I should know this.

To OP,
In my opinion you need to think this out on your own. Draw the y = sqrt(x) say going from 1 to 5. Does this area (use integration) approximate sqrt(1) + sqrt(2) + ... + sqrt(5)?
By looking and seeing is the way to learn math.