Question on Vectors involving Triangle

Edder

Hey everyone, I am having a bit of difficulty with a problem involving vectors. It says:

A triangle ∆PQR in 3-space has vertices: P(2,4,0), Q(−3,5,3), R(−2,2,1). Use vectors to decide which one of the following properties the triangle has.

How exactly would I solve this problem? I first tried taking various dot products to find if any of them equaled to zero. I then found vectors through the line segments of PQ, QR, and RP, and I still haven't quite figured out what to do with it. The question asks at what vertices there is s right angle. Any thoughts?

Any feedback is appreciated guys, thanks.

Hello, Edder!

You didn't show us your work.
How can we point out your error?

A triangle PQR in 3-space has vertices: P(2,4,0), Q(−3,5,3), R(−2,2,1).
Use vectors to decide which one of the following properties the triangle has.

\(\displaystyle \text{The vectors are: }\:\begin{Bmatrix} \overrightarrow{PQ} &=& \langle \text{-}5,1,3\rangle \\ \overrightarrow{QR} &=& \langle 1,\text{-}3,\text{-}2\rangle \\ \overrightarrow{PR} &=& \langle \text{-}4,\text{-}2,1\rangle \end{Bmatrix}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{We see that: }\:\overrightarrow{QR}\cdot\overrightarrow{PR} \:=\:\langle 1,\text{-}3,\text{-}2\rangle\cdot\langle \text{-}4,\text{-}2,1\rangle \:=\:\text{-}4 + 6 -2 \:=\:0\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Hence: }\:\overrightarrow{QR} \perp \overrightarrow{PR}\)

We have a right triangle with /R = 90o and hypotenuse \(\displaystyle PQ.\)

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I am having a bit of difficulty with a problem involving vectors. It says:

A triangle ∆PQR in 3-space has vertices: P(2,4,0), Q(−3,5,3), R(−2,2,1). Use vectors to decide which one of the following properties the triangle has.

How exactly would I solve this problem? I first tried taking various dot products to find if any of them equaled to zero. I then found vectors through the line segments of PQ, QR, and RP, and I still haven't quite figured out what to do with it. The question asks at what vertices there is s right angle. Any thoughts?

Any feedback is appreciated guys, thanks.

Which properties are you referring here?

Hello, Edder!

You didn't show us your work.
How can we point out your error?

\(\displaystyle \text{The vectors are: }\:\begin{Bmatrix} \overrightarrow{PQ} &=& \langle \text{-}5,1,3\rangle \\ \overrightarrow{QR} &=& \langle 1,\text{-}3,\text{-}2\rangle \\ \overrightarrow{PR} &=& \langle \text{-}4,\text{-}2,1\rangle \end{Bmatrix}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{We see that: }\:\overrightarrow{QR}\cdot\overrightarrow{PR} \:=\:\langle 1,\text{-}3,\text{-}2\rangle\cdot\langle \text{-}4,\text{-}2,1\rangle \:=\:\text{-}4 + 6 -2 \:=\:0\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Hence: }\:\overrightarrow{QR} \perp \overrightarrow{PR}\)

We have a right triangle with /R = 90o and hypotenuse \(\displaystyle PQ.\)

Thank you for that thorough explanation, I appreciate it. I made an error on my line segments. I added the vertices of PQ instead of subtracting like you did. That is why I couldn't get my dot products to equal zero.

Which properties are you referring here?

At which vertices there is a right angle.

Also, when combining vertices to find the vectors, why do you subtract them? I thought that you would simply add them together.

Take it down to 1 dimension, think of the number line. Start at +4, move to +5. Did you move +9 or +1? Add or subtract? The same idea applies to 3 dimensions.

Also, when combining vertices to find the vectors, why do you subtract them? I thought that you would simply add them together.

1. Draw a sketch (see attachment)

2. Use your index finger: If you want to "go" from Q (with the staionary vector \(\displaystyle \vec q\)) to R (with the staionary vector \(\displaystyle \vec r\)) your finger will move \(\displaystyle \vec q\) backwards that means it is \(\displaystyle - \vec q\), and afterwards your finger will move along \(\displaystyle \vec r\).

3. That means \(\displaystyle \overrightarrow{QR} = - \vec q + \vec r = \vec r - \vec q\). You certainly have noticed that the letters are ordered symmetrically to the equal sign:

\(\displaystyle \overrightarrow{QR} = \vec r - \vec q\)

Attachments

• vectordifferenz.jpg
    vectordifferenz.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 2