Quick Problem - ASAP

jess51483

This problem was given to me in my math 4 ele ed teachers class. It has 5 different answers that students worked out and 1 is right but I don't remember which one my prof said. I hate geometry so the thought of trying to solve this is out of the question. The problem is..

The side of a square measures 8cm. If the perimeter of the square is decreased by 8 cm to get a new square, by how many sq cm is the area od the sq decreased?

Possible answers 16cm, 4 squared, 2cm squared, 16cm squared, or 28 cm squared.

Once I know the correct answer I can complete the assignment. We have to evaluate the students work on 1 that didn't get the right answer. We have to look and see how close they were, etc.

Thanks!

jess51483 said:
I hate geometry so the thought of trying to solve this is out of the question.
So you are explicitly stating that you have absolutely no interest in putting any effort into this at all. Instead, you expect us to do your work, and then provide you with the answer...?

jess51483 said:
We have to evaluate the students work...
If you can't even figure out the exercise, there's no way for you to evaluate how somebody else approached it. And you should be aware, since you're striving so hard not to exert yourself, that interpreting the thoughts and intents of others (in this case, what the student was probably thinking and trying) is generally much harder than just doing the exercise yourself.

According to one of your earlier posts, you are a math-ed major, a teacher in training. What would you think of a student who made a post similar to yours? Or of any online tutors who undermined the instructor and the student's own learning-process by doing the student's assignment for him?

Eliz.

jess51483 said:
I hate geometry so the thought of trying to solve this is out of the question. The problem is..

The side of a square measures 8cm. If the perimeter of the square is decreased by 8 cm to get a new square, by how many sq cm is the area od the sq decreased?
The other irony here is that this is just barely a geometry problem.

Do you NOT KNOW that the perimeter of a square is four times the length of one side?!

Do you NOT KNOW that the area of a square is the square of the length of one side?!

You cannot get past basic pre-calculus mathematics without kning these two things or without knowing how to solve this problem. Does your Math-Ed program actually require any mathematics? I can see if you were the Wrestling Coach and the administration made you teach algebra, but you're actually studying Math-Ed? I think you had better rethink your commitment or maybe have a heart-to-heart with your college advisor about career choices.

I'm not trying to hurt your feelings. I'm just truly stunned by this presentation. I cannot understand it. How can you teach math over the third grade without the very tiny level of general competence shown in this posting?

My views. I welcome others'.

jess, are you seriously thinking of becoming an elementary math teacher,
or are you joking around?

My granddaughter Brittany, 9 years old, is able to calculate that; so you
must understand my :shock:

Even the poor little preacher can solve this one, and he's utterly illiterate in regard to mathematics.

Are you sure you wish to pursue a career in teaching young ones the basics of math, if you aren't willing to work at it yourself?

P.S. I meant no offense in this note, just so you know. =] I'm just wondering the same as the other posters in this thread.