quiz contains a multiple-choice question with five possible answers, only one of which is correct...

You got me there. As i understand it,the size of the sample space is the total number of possible outcomes. Not favorable but possible. And there are 5 possible answers. So i do not undertand your question.
No, the sample space is NOT the total number of possible outcomes. If you toss two coins then the sample space is hh, ht, th, tt NOT 4

Well which is it? Is the sample space the total number of possible outcomes or is it all the possible outcomes? Or maybe it is both?

No, the sample space is NOT the total number of possible outcomes. If you toss two coins then the sample space is hh, ht, th, tt NOT 4
So define, please, sample space for me. Your simple definition.

Well which is it? Is the sample space the total number of possible outcomes or is it all the possible outcomes? Or maybe it is both?
Total number and all the ....?
Isnt it the same thing?.

No, you need to look it up. That is how you learn. Eventually you will get tired of looking it up time and time again and then you'll remember it.

No, i am talking about your question.
Jomo said:
Well which is it? Is the sample space the total number of possible outcomes or is it all the possible outcomes?
There os no choice, or is it?
Total number and all the...is the same thing.

A quote from a math site
Sample Space Of An Event
Sample space is all the possible outcomes of an event
. Sometimes the sample space is easy to determine. For example, if you roll a dice, 6 things could happen. You could roll a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6.
Sometimes sample space is more difficult to determine, so you can make a tree diagram or a list to help you figure out all the possible outcomes....
Etc

There are five possible ways in which the student can answer the question correctly.
First possible outcome
Q1 correct
Q2
Q3
Q4
Q5 all these incorrect.
And so forth and so on until I get to outcome five

Then according to this definition the sample space is 5.
Eddy, come on! 5 is the number of outcomes! The sample space is NOT the number of outcomes. The sample space is a LIST of all the possible outcomes

There are five possible ways in which the student can answer the question correctly.
First possible outcome
Q1 correct
Q2
Q3
Q4
Q5 all these incorrect.
And so forth and so on until I get to outcome five
Q5 means question 5. Question 5 is a single question! So what do you mean by all these incorrect??

Here is the sample space.

1) question 1 is correct and questions 2, 3, 4, and 5 are incorrect.
2) question 2 is correct and questions 1, 3, 4, and 5 are incorrect.
3) question 3 is correct and questions 1, 2, 4, and 5 are incorrect.
4) question 4 is correct and questions 1, 2, 3, and 5 are incorrect.
5) question 5 is correct and questions 1, 2, 3, and 4 are incorrect.

I meant thst thecfirst outcome was
Question 1 correct
And all the others incorrect
Second possible outcome
Question 2 correct
Until i have exhausted all 5 possible outcomes
5 in this case.

I meant thst thecfirst outcome was
Question 1 correct
Second possible outcome
Question 2 correct
Until i have exhausted all 5 possible outcomes
5 in this case.
I did it first ok lol. You did not see the " all these incorrect".