Rationality of Mathematics

Questions:

1. What is your favorite math course?
2. What is the toughest math course you have ever taken?
3. What is your view of standardized exams?
4. What do you think about the recent college scandal involving actress Lori Loughlin and other celebrities?
5. Do you also know physics?
My favorite math course was abstract algebra; it was also the hardest.

Standardized exams are an unfortunate necessity. People are compelled, by force if necessary, to be "educated," and other people are compelled, by force if necessary, to pay for that "education." The compulsion is outrageous if there is no rigor in ensuring that the "education" really educates. The feedback loop created by standardized testing is the only way to tell if teachers are competent and diligent. That is why the teachers' unions hate standardized tests.

Furthermore, to the extent that people must rely on certification to assess competence (and what else do they have to go on), standardized tests are the only reliable means to discriminate solely on the basis of knowledge. Do you want to rely for your life on a surgeon who cannot pass a test in physiology or an engineer who is stumped by vectors?

As for the recent scandal about college admissions, I view it as a severe moral delict, but I find it ridiculous that people are threatened with twenty years in jail for it as though it is a moral failing as grave as rape or murder. Overcharging does not become acceptable because criminals are unsympathetic. In this case, those involved think their riches entitle them to what society has reasonably decided should be awarded to intelligence and diligence so impoverish such people to educate them and preclude them from recidivism. If the penalty for bribery were the greater of 95% of your net worth or one year's income without possibility of release through bankruptcy, no sane person would indulge in bribery, which is not a crime of impulse.

Yes, I was required to study physics for a year. It bored me witless.

I don't understand what you have in mind.

Are you trying to mince words? You have already posted about religion a number of times in the forum, so my point is that it's too late for you to claim that you won't "bring God into FMH".

\(\;\)

You are right. It is too late for me not to discuss religion. I have already disclosed my interest in religious conversation. I always forget that others do not share the same view. This is a math forum. Now, back to math.

My favorite math course was abstract algebra; it was also the hardest.

Standardized exams are an unfortunate necessity. People are compelled, by force if necessary, to be "educated," and other people are compelled, by force if necessary, to pay for that "education." The compulsion is outrageous if there is no rigor in ensuring that the "education" really educates. The feedback loop created by standardized testing is the only way to tell if teachers are competent and diligent. That is why the teachers' unions hate standardized tests.

Furthermore, to the extent that people must rely on certification to assess competence (and what else do they have to go on), standardized tests are the only reliable means to discriminate solely on the basis of knowledge. Do you want to rely for your life on a surgeon who cannot pass a test in physiology or an engineer who is stumped by vectors?

As for the recent scandal about college admissions, I view it as a severe moral delict, but I find it ridiculous that people are threatened with twenty years in jail for it as though it is a moral failing as grave as rape or murder. Overcharging does not become acceptable because criminals are unsympathetic. In this case, those involved think their riches entitle them to what society has reasonably decided should be awarded to intelligence and diligence so impoverish such people to educate them and preclude them from recidivism. If the penalty for bribery were the greater of 95% of your net worth or one year's income without possibility of release through bankruptcy, no sane person would indulge in bribery, which is not a crime of impulse.

Yes, I was required to study physics for a year. It bored me witless.

Thank you for your answers. I did not know that you took abstract algebra aka modern algebra. I have seen a few minutes of this insane course on youtube and to very honest with you, I am NOT interested in ever learning anything about the course. My interest in advanced math after calculus 3 does not go beyond linear algebra.