Ratios and Proportions word problem

Lusk

Hello guys,,

First of sorry if i didn't post this in the right place...

I really need help in solving a word problem, i haven't tried solving it because i have no idea
where to begin. So can you guys please help me.

I need step by step instructions so i can learn how to do it.

The problem is..

A recipe calls for 3/4 of a cup of sugar and 2 cups of flour. Write the ratio of Sugar
to flour as a fraction in simplest form.

Thanx in advance..

With any word problem, you need to identify - what are they asking you to find?

Here, you are asked for 'the ratio of sugar to flour'.

This means - "how many cups of sugar, for 1 cup of flour?"

Then, you need to identify the information you've been given. You're told that the recipe has "3/4 cups of sugar, and 2 cups of flour".

Do you know what the next step should be?

The problem is..

A recipe calls for 3/4 of a cup of sugar and 2 cups of flour. Write the ratio of Sugar

A ratio is the comparison of two quantities by division.
If I asked for the ratio of 5 gallons of milk to 15 gallons of cream, you would respond 5/15 then reduce it to 1/3. If I asked for the ratio of 20 feet to 15 yards you would probably want to get the two quantities in the same units. (20 ft)/(15 yds) = (20 ft)/(45 ft) = (4 ft)/(9 ft) = 4/9.
If the quantities cannot be converted to like quantities you usually include the units. For instance (45 miles)/(3 gallons) = (45/3) miles/gal or \(\displaystyle 15\frac{mi}{gal}\).

Lusk said:
Hint: 2 cups = 8/4 cups

Thanks guys i think i got the answer ..

3/4 times 1/2 = 3/8..

Lusk said:
Hello guys,,

First of sorry if i didn't post this in the right place...

I really need help in solving a word problem, i haven't tried solving it because i have no idea
where to begin. So can you guys please help me.

I need step by step instructions so i can learn how to do it.

The problem is..

Thanx in advance..

The words "Sugar to flour" can be written as a fraction: Sugar/flour. We can now replace Sugar with 3/4 and flour with 2 and then simplify.

Sugar/flour = 3/4 divided by 2

Sugar/flour = 3/4 * 1/2

Sugar/flour = 3/8...This is your ratio.

When you see the word ratio, think of a fraction.