Ratios

KWF

When ratios are used, they are usually expressed as 1 to some number, for example, 1:72. Could the reverse be used instead? For example, instead of 1:72 would 72:1 be the same? If not, what would 72:1 indicate?

I thank you for your reply!

When ratios are used, they are usually expressed as 1 to some number, for example, 1:72. Could the reverse be used instead? For example, instead of 1:72 would 72:1 be the same? If not, what would 72:1 indicate?

Well...

Let's say the length to width ratio is 1:72.
That would mean that when the length is 1 m, the width would be 72 m, right ?

Now let's say the length to width ratio is 72:1 again.
That would mean that when the length is 72 m, the width would be 1 m, which is not the same as the first.

Now let's say the width to length ratio is 72:1.
That would mean that when the width is 72 m, the length is 1 m, which is the same as the first.

So i guess you can see that if you swap the number 72 and 1, to make 72:1, you also need to swap 'length' and 'width' or it isn't valid.
So:
Length:Width 1:72 = Width:Length 72:1

Last edited:

Thank you phoenix9124 for the reply and explanation.

I understand your reply, but how would this same scale (1:72) be interrupted for a model kit. A model kit has three dimensions: length, width, and height.

Thank you phoenix9124 for the reply and explanation.

I understand your reply, but how would this same scale (1:72) be interrupted for a model kit. A model kit has three dimensions: length, width, and height.

In that it means that every dimension has been shrunk by the ratio 1:72.

Does this idea make sense?

1:72 Length:Length = model to the original
1:72 Width:Width = model to the original
1:72 Height:Height = model to the original

72:1 Length:Length = the original to model
72:1 Width:Width = the original to model
72:1 Height:Height = the original to model

For example, the length on the model is 1/72 the length of the original for 1:72 Length:Length = model to the original.

The length on the original is 72 times larger than the length of the model for 72:1 Length:Length = the original to model.

Last edited:
Does this idea make sense?

1:72 Length:Length = model to the original
1:72 Width:Width = model to the original
1:72 Height:Height = model to the original

72:1 Length:Length = the original to model
72:1 Width:Width = the original to model
72:1 Height:Height = the original to model

For example, the length on the model is 1/72 the length of the original for 1:72 Length:Length = model to the original.

The length on the original is 72 times larger than the length of the model for 72:1 Length:Length = the original to model.

It does - as long as the model is smaller than the original.

However, if you are looking at a model of a DNA - those will be reversed.