Real Number System illustrations: flowers...?

horsebackgirl53

ok so if any of you saw my pervious post, you'll see that i was in need of some help on a project. for those of you that havent read my previous post the assignment was to illustrate the real munbers system in context of another concept that has the same relationships as the real numbers system. i have an idea that i came up with on my own: a flower-roots can be rational #s, stem can be integers, leaf can be whole #s, and the blossom can be the naturas(aka counting) numbers. i would explain by saying you cant have a number that is only a whole and natural (leaf and blossom) without it also being rational and whole (roots and stem)do you think that would be relevant? also, what should i do for the irrational numbers, like a gardener (<plants flowers) or a deer (<eats flowers)???? thanks in advance for the help! :) i appreciate it

Re: Real # System

horsebackgirl53 said:
ok so if any of you saw my pervious post, you'll see that i was in need of some help on a project. for those of you that havent read my previous post the assignment was to illustrate the real munbers system in context of another concept that has the same relationships as the real numbers system. i have an idea that i came up with on my own: a flower-roots can be rational #s, stem can be integers, leaf can be whole #s, and the blossom can be the naturas(aka counting) numbers. i would explain by saying you cant have a number that is only a whole and natural (leaf and blossom) without it also being rational and whole (roots and stem)do you think that would be relevant? also, what should i do for the irrational numbers, like a gardener (<plants flowers) or a deer (<eats flowers)???? thanks in advance for the help! :) i appreciate it

Rational numbers include fractions like 1/2 - may be a witherd blossom can be an example of that.

Irrational number is a harder issue - the circumference of the flower could be irrational (just like circumference of a circle is irrational because it includes ?). I do not see your logic for calling the gardener irrational - unless the deer drives him crazy and he tills over his garden in a fit of rage!!!