Really Confusing Calc Problem Help Please.

AdrianHero

Ok guys so I have this calculus problem that is bugging me out I dont even know where to tackle this bad boy. It is the following problem:

So all the directions say is this :

Recall from theore, 1.9 that the limit of f(x) = (sin x)/x as x approaches 0 is 1.

The problem:

Let (x, sin x) be a point on the graph of g near (0,0), and write a formula for the slope of the secant line joining (x, sin x) and (0,0). Evaluate this formula at x = 0.1 and x = 0.01. Then find the exact slope of the tangent line to g at the point (0,0).

Thanks for the help in advance.

AdrianHero said:
Ok guys so I have this calculus problem that is bugging me out I dont even know where to tackle this bad boy. It is the following problem:

Recall from theore, 1.9 that the limit of f(x) = (sin x)/x as x approaches 0 is 1.

The problem:

Let (x, sin x) be a point on the graph of g near (0,0), and write a formula for the slope of the secant line joining (x, sin x) and (0,0). Evaluate this formula at x = 0.1 and x = 0.01. Then find the exact slope of the tangent line to g at the point (0,0).

Slope of a line passing through (x[sub:s359mmnp]1[/sub:s359mmnp],y[sub:s359mmnp]1[/sub:s359mmnp]) and (x[sub:s359mmnp]2[/sub:s359mmnp],y[sub:s359mmnp]2[/sub:s359mmnp]) is:

\(\displaystyle slope \ = \ m \ = \ \frac{y_1 \ - \ y_2}{x_1 \ - \ x_2}\)

Please show us your work indicating exactly where you are stuck - so that we may know where to begin to help you.

Well unfortunately Im stuck at the start I just dont know where to start this off, and I really dont understand what the problem is asking me to do.

Subhotosh Khan said:
AdrianHero said:

The problem:

Slope of a line passing through (x[sub:3toiehrj]1[/sub:3toiehrj],y[sub:3toiehrj]1[/sub:3toiehrj]) and (x[sub:3toiehrj]2[/sub:3toiehrj],y[sub:3toiehrj]2[/sub:3toiehrj]) is:

\(\displaystyle slope \ = \ m \ = \ \frac{y_1 \ - \ y_2}{x_1 \ - \ x_2}\)

Please show us your work indicating exactly where you are stuck - so that we may know where to begin to help you.

Did the equation I provided give you any hint ?

Do you understand the meaning (and difference between) the secant line and tangent line?

If not - dust up your pre-calc book and review.