Reflection Principle - Clown Problem

fernandosant

Hi :) Could someone help me?
A clown is two steps from the end of a trampoline and will have to remove 10 balls being 5 red and 5 yellow. When you take out a red ball you take a step forward, and when you pull out a yellow ball you step back. How many ways can you draw the balls so that the clown does not fall?

Answer : 132

A clown is two steps from the end of a trampoline and will have to remove 10 balls being 5 red and 5 yellow. When you take out a red ball you take a step forward, and when you pull out a yellow ball you step back. How many ways can you draw the balls so that the clown does not fall?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong.

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/for

Hello, yes I couldn't begin with the problem, I couldn't see where do I apply the principle in this case, because of those restrictions.

I see you asked this question also on Stack Exchange, and got the same answer -- show some work!

Can you at least state the Reflection Principle, and how it might apply?

Also, my first step would be to simplify the statement of the problem. What it amounts to is counting the ways you can sum 5 +1's and 5 -1's so that the partial sum never exceeds 2.