regarding the "Read Before Posting" sticky-note

stapel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would it be possible to add something along the lines of the following to the "Read Before Posting" sticky-notes?
  • Post to an appropriate category. Questions about derivatives (calculus) do not belong in "Beginning Algebra". Questions about finding the area of a circle (geometry) do not belong in "Other Math". Please show appropriate care and consideration.[/*:m:2smt1s5g]
  • Preview or edit your posts for clarity. When composing your message, you may include formatting that doesn't "take" when the message is finally posted. For instance, the forum script strips away spaces at the beginnings of lines. Kindly "edit" your post to correct errors if they occur, and "preview" your posts to minimize errors. (For formatting advice, try Karl's Notes or "Formatting Math as Text".)[/*:m:2smt1s5g]
  • Post the complete text of the exercise. This would include the full statement of the exercise and its instructions, so the tutors will know what you are working on. If there is a graphic or table or some other non-textual information necessary to the exercise, include a detailed description.[/*:m:2smt1s5g]
  • Show all of your work. If you've shown no work at all, the tutors may assume that you're needing help getting started, and may suggest only how to do the first step. Even if you're asking only about the very end of the solution process, still include all of your intermediate steps. Errors may have occurred earlier than you'd realized; correcting part (b) may clear up your confusion on part (d).[/*:m:2smt1s5g]
  • Have patience. There is no paid staff waiting on-hand to give instant replies. Many of the volunteer tutors have "real" jobs, and they all have to sleep from time to time. The people "viewing" your posts may be fellow students. Please don't be offended if there are "views" but no replies. It may take hours, even days, for a tutor, qualified in your topic's area, to respond.[/*:m:2smt1s5g]
Thank you for your consideration.

Eliz.

AMEN!
The first bullet point is particularly important!

But what if a tutor just gives the complete solution without having the student make any effort. Do you think it's fair? I'll be honest. I've seen this happen here before. *hint* *hint* :wink:

happy said:
But what if a tutor just gives the complete solution without having the student make any effort.
I agree that this can be a problem, especially for the other tutors: If they later attempt to help the student learn, the student frequently gets upset at not having been provided what he'd expected: the complete solution to copy into his homework.

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; teach him how to fish, and you feed him for the rest of his life." And maybe he won't throw his tackle box at the other fishermen if they don't keep handing him more fish. :wink:

Eliz.

Thanks for the suggestions, Stapel. I have added them to the list.