Related Rates Calculus Problem

thistleBranch

You and some friends are trapped inside a rectangular room that is leaking water from the ceiling filling up the room with water. Picking up a small cubic gift box (6 inches in length) you time the box fills in exactly 3 minutes. While you were timing the filling of the box, your friends measured the room to be 10 feet x 12 feet x 8 feet (LxWxH). Assuming no water is seeping out of the room, determine how fast the water level in the room is rising the moment the water in the room is 5 feet deep.

This is a homework problem I have been stuck on for quite some time. I attached a picture of what I could work out. I would appreciate some help. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20200402_141450.jpg
    20200402_141450.jpg
    902.9 KB · Views: 4
Ignoring the water displaced by you and your friends, I would express the volume of water as the cuboid:

[MATH]V=w\ell h[/MATH]
And the width \(w\) and length \(\ell\) will be constant, we may differentiate with respect to time \(t\) to obtain:

[MATH]\frac{dV}{dt}=w\ell\frac{dh}{dt}[/MATH]
which implies:

[MATH]\frac{dh}{dt}=\frac{1}{w\ell}\frac{dV}{dt}[/MATH]
Using the information provided regarding how fast the gift box was filled, we know:

[MATH]\frac{dV}{dt}=\frac{6^3}{3}\frac{\text{in}^3}{\text{min}}[/MATH]
So, what do we find regarding the time rate of change of the depth of the water?

Yes, plug in for the given width and length, then simplify to get some number in inches per minute.