Related Rates -- What Am I Doing Wrong?

rayroshi

In Larry Gonick's book, "The Cartoon Guide to Calculus" (which shows you the level I'm at with the whole subject), he presents the problem of trying to calculate the horizontal/ground-velocity rate with which a plane is approaching a ground-based radar site. The plane is flying in a flat, level path toward the radar station, maintaining a constant 3 km altitude. The radar station sees that the plane's air-to-radar-site rate is -320 km/h. This, of course, sets up a right-triangle situation, with the air-to-radar-station rate (-320 km/h) being the hypotenuse, a rate which is related to the horizontal/ground rate at which the plane is approaching the radar station. All of this then allows the use of the Pythagorean theorem.

So far, this all seems straight-forward, but I am not doing something correctly in my attempts to solve the problem. Please show me where my thinking is awry. Here is my flawed attempt:

Let a = the horizontal velocity which we are trying to find, so its derivative is a' km/h. (This would be the horizontal, bottom leg of the triangle)
Let b = the constant 3km altitude of the plane, so it's derivative is b', which equals 0 km/h, since it is constant. (This is the vertical leg of the triangle)
Let c = the downward-slanting, air-to-radar-station rate of the plane's approach to the radar station, so its derivative, c' = -320 km/h (This is the triangle's hypotenuse)

1) Using the Pythagorean theorem to relate all of the above, we have c^2 = a^2 + b^2.
2) Since the derivative of each term is related to the other terms' derivatives by the above equation, we get: (c^2)' = (a^2)' + (b^2)' (or is this wrong?)
3) Because we want to solve for a', we transpose the terms of the equation, giving us: (a^2)' = (c^2)' - (b^2)'
4) Since, by the chain rule, (a^2)' = (2a)(a'); (c^2)' = (2c)(c'); and (b^2)' = (2b)(b'), then plugging in the given values for each terms, we get...
4) (2a)(1) = (2)(-320)(1) + (2)(3)(0), giving 2a = -640 + 0
5) Finally, solving for 'a,' we get a = -320 km/hr. ...which is wrong! Clearly, the rate of the plane-to-radar-station can't equal the rate of the plane's travel over the ground in the horizontal direction. The correct answer is -400 km/h.

So where did I screw up? Any help would be much appreciated.

First, you haven't stated the whole problem. You have to be told some thing about the distance of the plane at the moment they want to know about. Please quote the problem fully and exactly.

Second, you called your a and c rates, when you are evidently meaning them as distances (so that their derivatives are rates). Be careful in defining variables, because that can cause big trouble.

Third, something went wrong at step 4, possibly in part because of the data you didn't use from the problem.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I forgot to mention one thing: the distance from the radar station to the plane (which would be the hypotenuse) at the time of the radar's measurement is 5 km, which would then make it a 3-4-5 triangle.

First, you haven't stated the whole problem. You have to be told some thing about the distance of the plane at the moment they want to know about. Please quote the problem fully and exactly.

Second, you called your a and c rates, when you are evidently meaning them as distances (so that their derivatives are rates). Be careful in defining variables, because that can cause big trouble.

Third, something went wrong at step 4, possibly in part because of the data you didn't use from the problem.

Yes, it appears as though step 4 is just all wrong at a fundamental level.

Is step 2 a correct statement?

[/QUOTE]

Yes, it appears as though step 4 is just all wrong at a fundamental level.

Is step 2 a correct statement?
Yes, though we don't normally write it out that way; we just carry out the differentiation.

Okay, once again, thank you for your response. So where is the flaw in my thinking? I still don't see where I am making the mistake.

I'm expecting you to give it another try, using all the information and perhaps following an example you've seen.

Using your variables (I might have used x and y instead of a and c), and plugging in the known value of b = 3, I'd start with

c^2 = a^2 + 9

Differentiate that with respect to t, using the chain rule, and then plug in the known values (at the specified moment) c = 5, a = 4, dc/dt = -320, and solve for da/dt.