Resolving into factors

Saumyojit

@Dr.Peterson @pka
Find the no of ways in which 124 can be resolved into 2 factors ?
I know that I will get the answer by dividing No of divisors by 2 but
How to use combination concept here .
Tell me another way.

@Dr.Peterson @pka
There are six divisors of \(124\) they are \(1,~2,~4,~31,~62,~\&~124\).
\(1\cdot124=~2\cdot 62=~4\cdot 31=124\)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Dr.Peterson @pka
Tell me another way.
Why would you assume that combinations can be used???

The standard method for counting divisors is a combinatorial method (which is broader than "combinations"). Specifically, [MATH]124=2^2 31^1[/MATH], so the number of divisors is the number of ways to assign i and j in the form [MATH]2^i 31^j[/MATH] where [MATH]0\le i\le 2[/MATH] and [MATH]0\le j\le 1[/MATH]. Dividing that by 2, the number of factors in a factor pair, is also a combinatorial concept.

But why don't you follow the rules and put an entirely new question in a new thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pka

I know that dividing no of divisors by 2 will give me the answer but
How to use combination concept here ...

@Dr.Peterson @pka

I need to create a new post
Because of a moderator whom I have never ever seen helping me with clearing doubts other than deleting the question and it's comments. He thinks I have all the time in the world!!!!!!!!!

124= 2*62= 2*2*31
Those are the prime factor of 124. We can make one factor by choosing the "31" either by itself or with one of the "2"s so there are only two ways to factor 124 into two factors, 4*31 and 2*62.

I have no idea what your second paragraph is supposed to mean. You seem very annoyed that "a moderator whom I have never ever seen" is helping you!

I know that dividing no of divisors by 2 will give me the answer but
How to use combination concept here ...

@Dr.Peterson @pka

I need to create a new post
Because of a moderator whom I have never ever seen helping me with clearing doubts other than deleting the question and it's comments. He thinks I have all the time in the world!!!!!!!!!

I presume you are referring to this answer of mine, which apparently wasn't actually deleted, just hidden (if you select the contents, it will appear):
Why would you assume that combinations can be used???

The standard method for counting divisors is a combinatorial method (which is broader than "combinations"). Specifically, [MATH]124=2^2 31^1[/MATH], so the number of divisors is the number of ways to assign i and j in the form [MATH]2^i 31^j[/MATH] where [MATH]0\le i\le 2[/MATH] and [MATH]0\le j\le 1[/MATH]. Dividing that by 2, the number of factors in a factor pair, is also a combinatorial concept.

But why don't you follow the rules and put an entirely new question in a new thread?

Presumably that was done in response to my last line: You need to be taught a lesson about following rules. Stop lengthening threads with questions unrelated to their titles, which make it very hard to follow a discussion.

You seem to think we have all the time in the world, and have no one but you to help.