Rise over Run: building ramps to fit truck into garage of same length

keg312

It seems like this should be easier than I am finding it to be.

Issue: I have a garage that is 229 inches long. I have a vehicle that is 229 inches long. I believe I can use ramps to raise the front end of the vehicle when I pull in and park and with that I can gain a few inches of leeway in the horizontal length that is required for the truck, but I can't quite figure out the math to determine what a 4 inch rise, or 6 inch rise, etc will give me to see if it's feasible.

Issue: I have a garage that is 229 inches long. I have a vehicle that is 229 inches long. I believe I can use ramps to raise the front end of the vehicle when I pull in and park and with that I can gain a few inches of leeway in the horizontal length that is required for the truck, but I can't quite figure out the math to determine what a 4 inch rise, or 6 inch rise, etc will give me to see if it's feasible.
How tall is the back of your truck? As your lifting the front up. the back of your truck will also rotate and "eat-up" some of the gain.

horiz length2=2292-42
horiz length2=2292-62

the bumper should stick out the back enough to where you wont have to account for the tailgate ht.
(of course tailgate ht will come into play if you lift the front of the truck high enough)

if you do need to account for it, use the same math.
draw a picture and it will come to you,
[right triangle, pathagoean theorem]

horiz length2=2292-42
horiz length2=2292-62

the bumper should stick out the back enough to where you wont have to account for the tailgate ht.
(of course tailgate ht will come into play if you lift the front of the truck high enough)

You will find that the decrease in effective length is very small (far lass than an inch for these heights); in fact, to decrease it by an inch, you would have to raise the front by 21 inches (sqrt(2292 - 2282))! At that point, the "rear end effect" that has been mentioned may come into play and start increasing the length again, even with the bumper.