Rose Curve Proof

Mathsgla

So I'm doing a project on Rose Curves and have a formula I can't quite prove. I have that for r=acos(kx)+b if k is divisible by 4 then the curve intercepts the X and y axes. However if b not equal to 0, then the graph of r=acos(kx)+b does not cross the y axis if k is not divisible by 4. I'm having trouble proving this second part

Last edited:
So I'm doing a project on Rose Curves and have a formula I can't quite prove. I have that for r=acos(kx)+b if k is divisible by 4 then the curve intercepts the X and y axes. However if b not equal to 0, then the graph of r=acos(kx)+b does not cross the y axis if k is not divisible by 4. I'm having trouble proving this second part
Are you sure that you have this correct??

Ive managed to come up with a proposition:

Let r=acos(kx)+b be a rose curve.

If k is even, divisible by 4, then the curve crosses the x and y axes at +and - (a+b).
If k is even, not divisible by 4, then the curve crosses the x axis at a+b and the y axis at -a+b
If k is odd then the curve crosses the x axis at + and - (a+b) and crosses the y axis at + and - b.

Ive managed to prove this eventually and added in some diagrams for visual aid.

Last edited:

In addition to the proposition I gave, I've now come across another problem.

I have that if k is odd the curve crosses the x-axis at pi at (-a+b) however the curve does not cross the X axis at pi if b is in the interval (-a,a) and the curve crosses the x-axis twice at x=2pi. Now having problems proving this.

Last edited:
Great! Can we see your work?

So for 3.

Let k=2m+1 m in Z st k is odd.

then
r=acos(kx)+b
r=acos((2m+1)x)+b
r=acos(2m+1)pi) +b
r=-a+b evaluated at x=pi

similarly r=a+b at x=2pi.

however this doesn't hold for some values of a,b,k.

i should be getting it crosses the x axis at (a+b) and (a-b).

dont know what I'm doing wrong!

Usually you have y being a function of x, not r is a function of x

Usually you have r being a function of theta, not r being a function of x.

So I'm confused when you talk about crossing the x-axis.

Usually you have y being a function of x, not r is a function of x

Usually you have r being a function of theta, not r being a function of x.

So I'm confused when you talk about crossing the x-axis.

Yeah didn't know how to put theta in this. Working in polars

Yeah didn't know how to put theta in this. Working in polars
OK, cool. It doesn't take much to confuse me. You can use Q for theta or at least state that x = theta.

Unless it is obvious, you must always always define your variables.

Last edited: