Rs 10.18 is divided among 45 children. 1 boy gets 22p and...

Shaon

Rs 10.80 is divided among 45 children. 1 boy gets 22p and 1 girl gets 28p. What is total number of boys and girls?

Shaon said:
Rs 10.18 is divided among 45 children. 1 boy gets 22p and 1 girl gets 28p. What is total number of boys and girls?
How does an "R" relate to a "p"?

What have you tried? How far did you get? Where are you stuck?

Please be complete. Thank you! :D

Eliz.

Hello, Shaon!

Please check the wording of the problem.
. . There seem to be two typos.

Rs 10.18 is divided among 45 children.
Each boy gets 22p and each girl gets 28p.
What is total number of boys and girls?

Obviously, that is not the correct question.
. . The total number of boys and girls is, of course, 45.

\(\displaystyle \text{100 paisa }\:=\:\text{1 rupee}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Let }\:\begin{array}{ccc}B &=& \text{number of boys} \\ G &=&\text{number of girls} \end{array}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{We have: }\:B + G \:=\:45\) .[1]

. . \(\displaystyle \text{and: }\:22B + 28G \:=\:1018 \quad\Rightarrow\quad 11B + 14G \:=\:509\) .[2]

\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{cccc}\text{Multiply [1] by -11:} & \text{-}11B - 11G &=&\text{-}495 \\ \text{Add [2]:} & 11B + 14G &=& 509 \end{array}\)

. . \(\displaystyle \text{and we have: }\:3G \:=\:14 \quad\Rightarrow\quad G \:=\:\frac{14}{3}\) .??

Re:

stapel said:
Shaon said:
Rs 10.18 is divided among 45 children. 1 boy gets 22p and 1 girl gets 28p. What is total number of boys and girls?
How does an "R" relate to a "p"?

What have you tried? How far did you get? Where are you stuck?

Please be complete. Thank you! :D

Eliz.

My mother tried in algebraic method, which is not yet taught to us in my school, I need to do in unitary method or arithmetic method.

R = Rupees, P = Paise
1 Re = 100 paise

soroban said:
Hello, Shaon!

Please check the wording of the problem.
. . There seem to be two typos.

Rs 10.18 is divided among 45 children.
What is total number of boys and girls?

Obviously, that is not the correct question.
. . The total number of boys and girls is, of course, 45.

\(\displaystyle \text{100 paisa }\:=\:\text{1 rupee}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Let }\:\begin{array}{ccc}B &=& \text{number of boys} \\ G &=&\text{number of girls} \end{array}\)

. . \(\displaystyle \text{and: }\:22B + 28G \:=\:1018 \quad\Rightarrow\quad 11B + 14G \:=\:509\) .[2]

\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{cccc}\text{Multiply [1] by -11:} & \text{-}11B - 11G &=&\text{-}495 \\ \text{Add [2]:} & 11B + 14G &=& 509 \end{array}\)

. . \(\displaystyle \text{and we have: }\:3G \:=\:14 \quad\Rightarrow\quad G \:=\:\frac{14}{3}\) .??

It was a typo error,

The problem is :

Rs 10.80 is divided among 45 children; I boy gets 22p and 1 girl gets 28p. How many boys and girls are there?

My mother tried to solve in algebraic method taking variables and x for no. of boys and y for no. of girls and the end result she got is 30 boys and 15 girls but she is unable to explain to me as Algebraic method is not yet taught to me in my class; I need to do in arithmetic method.

Hello, Shaon!

Now, it can be solved . . .

Rs 10.80 is divided among 45 children.
What is the number of boys and and the number of girls?

. . \(\displaystyle \text{and: }\:22B + 28G \:=\:1080 \quad\Rightarrow\quad 11B + 14G \:=\:540\) .[2]

\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{cccc}\text{Multiply [1] by -11:} & \text{-}11B - 11G &=&\text{-}495 \\ \text{Add [2]:} & 11B + 14G &=& 540 \end{array}\)

. . \(\displaystyle \text{and we have: }\:3G \:=\:45 \quad\Rightarrow\quad \boxed{G \:=\:15}\)

Substitute into [1]: .\(\displaystyle B + 15 \:=\:45\quad\Rightarrow\quad\boxed{ B \:=\:30}\)

Therefore, there are 30 boys and 15 girls.

Shaon said:
I need to do in unitary method or arithmetic method.
You have 1080 paise.

Have the boys and girls pair off. (There may be a few "extra" of one or the other, but ignore that possibility for now. For 44/2 = 22 pairs, with one "somebody" left over.) How many paise does each pair get? What is this total for the twenty-two pairs? (Hint: The value should be "too high".)

Since girls get more than boys, kick out a girl and add a boy. That is, subtract 28 and add 22. What is the net difference?

For each swap (a boy in, for a girl out), you will have this same net reduction in the total.

Suppose the extra kid (from the originally-assumed 22 pairs, plus "somebody") was a girl. What is your total? Is it possible, by swaps, to reduce the total to the required 1080 paise? If so, then find the solution. If not, then assume that the "somebody" was a boy, find that total, and repeat the process. :wink:

Eliz.

Rs 10.80 is divided among 45 children. 1 boy gets 22p and 1 girl gets 28p. What is total number of boys and girls?

Just for your information, there is an alternate method of getting your answer.

1--From the stated problem, you can write 22B + 28G = 1080.
2--This reduces to 11B + 14G = 540
3--Dividing through by the lowest coefficient yields 1B + G + 3G/11 = 49 += 1/11.
4--(3G - 1)/11 must be an integer as does (12G - 4)/11
5--Divide through by 11 again yielding G + G/11 -4/11
6--(G - 4)/11 must be an integer k making G = 11k + 4
7--Substituting back into (2) yields B = 44 - 14k
8------k....0....1....2....3....4
.......B...44...30...16....2....-
.......G....4...15...26...37...48
Sum........48...45...42...39
9--Introducing the other piece of information from the problem statement, "B + G = 45", the answer is clearly 30 boys and 15 girls.

The method might take a bit more time but it does yield the proper solution for a given sum of boys and girls, in addition to solutions for varying sums of boys and girls. Just thought you might be interested in an alternate approach to problems of this type.

um

Shaon said:
My mother tried in algebraic method, which is not yet taught to us in my school, I need to do in unitary method or arithmetic method.
TchrWill said:
Just for your information, there is an alternate method of getting your answer.

1--From the stated problem, you can write 22B + 28G = 1080....
soroban said:
Now, it can be solved . . .

Yes, this can be solved in the alternative algebraic manner, as the poster's mother had already shown. The poster has specifically asked for "arithmetic" or "unitary" methods.

I've shown an arithmetic method. Would somebody like to show the unitary method, perhaps explaining how to do this exercise? I mean, sure, the complete worked solution has been posted but, since it uses methods he cannot use, how does this help the student in the long term? And if he has to "show work", then cheating doesn't even help in the short term! :?

Eliz.