Searching for experience with 'I-pen' or 'E-pen'

Bill51

To the experts among us: Has anyone tried using one of these 'pen-mouse' devices for tutoring math?? Would appreciate any thoughts.
Bill Russell

Hi Bill:

I'm fairly certain that I have not used any "light pen" devices, and I'm absolutely certain that I am not an expert at anything.

Are you referring to the pen which can be used to generate images of handwriting?

I saw somebody using one with an electronic-tablet type of device at the University of Washington about three weeks ago. This person was writing notes on a tablet's screen, and flipping back-and-forth between screens of previously-written pages.

If this is along the lines of what you are asking about, then are you wondering whether or not this is an easier alternative to LaTex (or simply as an alternative to typing your posts) for tutoring electronically?

I would think that such a device would be easier for creating diagrams for upload versus the method that I currently use, as long as I have the option of using different colors. (Currently, I draw my diagrams by hand, put them in a scanner, beam the image file to my network, crop the file using MS Paint, and then upload.)

I would need to first try one of these "pens" before I could decide if it's as functional as a pencil on paper. (I would never use MS Paint to draw a diagram that involves anything other than geometric objects because using MS Paint to write is tantamount to using an Etch-a-Sketch!)

If the device that you're asking about is something else, then can you post a link to a product web page for me?

Cheers,

~ Mark :)

Thanks Mark,

http://www.besttechnologyparts.com/site ... nAod_lKWYg

I have this daydream that this device might be useful for 1-on-1 online coaching, used in conjunction with some sort of 'full-duplex' whiteboard.

I'm going to try one out and if I find out anything useful, I'll report my info to the superb teachers who work here.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Bill Russell

NOTE TO ADMIN: REPLACE THE LINK WITH "GOOGLE 'I-PEN' AND/OR 'E-PEN'" IF NECESSARY. THANKS

Hi Bill:

I read the information at that link. I'm not sure that I fully understand the usage, but it seems that you need to save a file (i.e., web page, word-processing document, image, etc.) after adding "notes" with the pen, and then you can send the file to somebody in the usual ways.

I do not interpret this device as capable of dynamic exchange of handwriting over the Internet, but, as I said, I'm not sure.

I'm also unknowledgable about full-duplex whiteboards, but I'm thinking that they operate through dedicated software running on dedicated servers.

If you can get this pen to exchange handwriting dynamically over the Internet (via instant-messaging software or chatrooms), then I see a good use for tutoring situations.

I'll keep a lookout for your follow-up information/experience(s).

Cheers,

~ Mark :)