second order partial derivatives

luka16

Hello.
How can I solve the second-order partial derivative like this one?
sa.PNG.png
This just makes me confused.
I know how to determine second-order partials for example f(x,y)=2x^4-5x^3y^3-y^4, it is very easy to solve it for fxx, fyy and fxy, but can't understand what to do in the exercise which is on the pic
can anyone help?

Hello.
How can I solve the second-order partial derivative like this one?
View attachment 30723
This just makes me confused.
I know how to determine second-order partials for example f(x,y)=2x^4-5x^3y^3-y^4, it is very easy to solve it for fxx, fyy and fxy, but can't understand what to do in the exercise which is on the pic
can anyone help?

This is a problem of implicit differentiation - basically same principle as the example function you cite.

Please show step-by-step , how you would calculate fxx for f(x,y)=2x^4-5x^3y^3-y^4,

f(x,y)=2x^4-5x^3y^3-y^4,
f(2,3) = 2*2^4 - 5*2^3*3 * 3^3 - 3^4 = -1129

I am really surprised that you are a student of CALCULAS, yet cannot evaluate a function at a given point!!

Last edited by a moderator:
f(2,3) = 2*2^4 - 5*2^3*3 * 3^3 - 3^4 = -1129

I am really surprised that you are a student of CALCULAS, yet cannot evaluate a function at a given point!!
I am sorry, I think you misunderstood my question. I know what to do in that case, but a question from the image is one which I wished to know how to do step-by-step, but without using f(x,y)=2x^4-5x^3y^3-y^4, I just mentioned that I know how to solve probs like f(x,y)=2x^4-5x^3y^3-y^4 this one, but I don't know how to solve a problem which is one image...
according to you I just need to write 2/1 - 1/2 and that's all?
sa.PNG.png
this is what I wish to know how to solve.
sorry for misunderstood

okay, but what is fxx(2,1) for example?
[imath]f_{xx}(2,1)[/imath] is the second partial derivative of the function evaluated at the point (2,1). Start with [imath]f_x[/imath]. Give it a try and post back your attempt, even if it's wrong. Remember what I said earlier: Treat y as a constant (like number 2) and differentiate with respect to x.

I am sorry, I think you misunderstood my question. I know what to do in that case, but a question from the image is one which I wished to know how to do step-by-step, but without using f(x,y)=2x^4-5x^3y^3-y^4, I just mentioned that I know how to solve probs like f(x,y)=2x^4-5x^3y^3-y^4 this one, but I don't know how to solve a problem which is one image...
View attachment 30744
sorry for misunderstood
Have you calculated fxx for f(x,y) = (x/y) - (y/x) ?

First calculate fx for f(x,y) = (x/y) - (y/x).......................(assuming 'y' is constant)

then we will continue.....

View attachment 30744
sorry for misunderstood
If I were to ask you to differentiate this function, how would you do it? [math]f(x)=\frac{x}{2}-\frac{2}{x}[/math]

I realized what your confusion is. You're confused about [imath]f_{xx}(x,y)[/imath] versus [imath]f_{xx}(2,1)[/imath] notation. The latter means differentiate as you would normally. Once you have your partial derivative, plug in [imath]x=2\medspace and\medspace y=1[/imath].

Last edited: