Sectioning out center of a circumference

shandralebru

I am not a math student...i just have a craft problem that involves math that I think you might be able to help me with and have fun with.

I have a cylinder which has a circumference of 11 inches and a height of 5.5 inches. Inside the cylinder I must place dividers to make 3 equal sections. 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 (looking into the top it looks like a peace symbol). I can make this divider with 2 pieces of paper...one longer than the other or 2 the same size. I have large sheets of paper that are already 5.5 inches tall but how long should the paper dividers be to make 3 equal sections inside the cylinder? How do I know what size to cut the papers? Please help! I have to have this finished by Tuesday and I have to make correct cuts...No more heavy paper left.

Thanks!

I am not a math student...i just have a craft problem that involves math that I think you might be able to help me with and have fun with.

I have a cylinder which has a circumference of 11 inches and a height of 5.5 inches. Inside the cylinder I must place dividers to make 3 equal sections. 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 (looking into the top it looks like a peace symbol). I can make this divider with 2 pieces of paper...one longer than the other or 2 the same size. I have large sheets of paper that are already 5.5 inches tall but how long should the paper dividers be to make 3 equal sections inside the cylinder? How do I know what size to cut the papers? Please help! I have to have this finished by Tuesday and I have to make correct cuts...No more heavy paper left.

Thanks!

1. I hope for you that all measures are taken at the inner space of the cylinder. :???:

2. The circumference of the cylinder equals the circumference of a circle. So:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle{2 \pi r = 11''~\implies~\boxed{r \approx 1.75''}}\)

3. Cut 2 pieces of paper in the dimension: \(\displaystyle \displaystyle{3.5'' \times 5.5''}\) (That's the green sheet in my sketch which you have to fold once!) and another one in the dimension \(\displaystyle \displaystyle{1.75'' \times 5.5''}\) (That's the blue sheet in my sketch)

Attachments

• zyl_innenteilung.jpg
    zyl_innenteilung.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 3
Thank you!

Thanks so much pappus! Yes, this is a measurement from the inside of the cylinder. Believe me, I've been trying to do it "trial and error" style for 2 days and I kept coming up a cm. short on one side or another.

Thank you for your quick response!