Series: Can you explain why I doing a comprehension test here?

AlexSendler100%

Can you please explain why I doing a comprehension test here? I can just remove the An sequence (yes, I know it converges) but why its smaller than zero
.צילום מסך 2023-09-27 210856.png

Last edited by a moderator:
They're not saying [imath]A_n[/imath] is less than 0.

They're saying the entire fraction [imath]\dfrac{A_n}{A_n+2}[/imath] is less than [imath]\dfrac{A_n}{0+2}[/imath]

Back to my comment before, one way to maximize a fraction is to minimize the denominator.

Given [imath]A_n[/imath] is positive or [imath]A_n>0[/imath]. Letting [imath]A_n=0[/imath] will minimize the denominator and in effect maximize the entire fraction.

Can you please explain why I doing a comprehension test here? I can just remove the An sequence (yes, I know it converges) but why its smaller than zero
.View attachment 36464

What is a "comprehension test"?

Note: Smaller denominator means larger fraction (and larger denominator means smaller fraction).

Assuming that all terms [imath]A_n[/imath] are non-negative, then replacing [imath]A_n[/imath] with zero makes for a smaller expression:

[imath]\qquad 0 \leq A_n \rArr 0 + 2 \leq A_n + 2 \rArr \frac{1}{0+2} \geq \frac{1}{A_n + 2}[/imath]