Sets: Prove (a) (A − AB) ∪ B = A ∪ B; (b) (A ∪ B) − AB = AB^c ∪ A^cB

sydbernard

Sets: Prove (a) (A − AB) ∪ B = A ∪ B; (b) (A ∪ B) − AB = AB^c ∪ A^cB

Let A and B be two events. Prove the following relations by the element wise method.
(a) (A − AB) ∪ B = A ∪ B.
(b) (A ∪ B) − AB = AB^c ∪ A^cB.

Let A and B be two events. Prove the following relations by the element wise method.
Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong.

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/for

To make (b) a little easier to read, you can use the superscript format: (A ∪ B) − AB = ABc ∪ AcB .

If you aren't familiar with the "element-wise method", you should start by supposing that some element x is in (A ∪ B) − AB [that is, it is in either A or B, but not in both A and B], and show that it will necessarily be in ABc ∪ AcB; and then suppose that x is in ABc ∪ AcB and show that it must be in (A ∪ B) − AB.

Please show what you can do, and tell us why you are stuck, so we can help you past that.

So I know that you have to prove that each is a subset of one another so for a I have

let x e AUB then x e A or x e B. If x e B then x is not an element of A. and then would have to do the same where x e A but not B, but I am confused what to do from there.

So I know that you have to prove that each is a subset of one another so for a I have

let x e AUB then x e A or x e B. If x e B then x is not an element of A. and then would have to do the same where x e A but not B, but I am confused what to do from there.

You're right that if x ∈ (A ∪ B) − AB, then either x ∈ B but not in A, or x ∈ A but not in B. (This doesn't follow merely from x ∈ A ∪ B, but from the entire left-hand side.)

What to do next? Look at what you have to prove! what does it mean that x ∈ ABc ∪ AcB? You are practically finished with this half of the proof.