shortest center-chord distance; length of tangent; etc.

merrik86

I'm having some problems with my geometry homework. I do not know how to solve these problems, can anyone help me?

Attachments

• Geometric problems.JPG
    Geometric problems.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 217
merrik86 said:
I'm having some problems with my geometry homework. I do not know how to solve these problems, can anyone help me?
Skeeter has already suggested Pythagoras....

To add to that thought, here are a couple of important ideas:

1) If you draw a radius perpendicular to a chord, that radius BISECTS the chord.

2) If you draw a radius to the point of tangency, the radius is perpendicular to the tangent.

NOW...can you see how to apply Pythagoras to each of your problems?

merrik86 said:
I still don't understand
Ouch! The Pythagorean Theorem was one of the first things that should have been covered in this class! :shock:

Since you don't appear to have the necessary background information, there probably isn't anything we can do for you, since we cannot provide the hours of re-teaching necessary to get you caught up to your class. Sorry! :oops:

:arrow: Please look into hiring a qualified local tutor and setting aside a few hours a week for concentrated study sessions. By working face-to-face with you, your tutor should quickly be able to see where you are having trouble, how far back you need to go to get re-started, and then provide you with the personalized lessons you need. :idea:

My best wishes to you in your studies! :D

Eliz.