Side Lengths from Coordinates

Okay, so I know how to do the homework question I'm asking about, but I don't know how to do one thing relating to it. How do you take three coordinates for the vertices of a triangle and find the side lengths? Really, I just need help finding variables to plug into Heron's formula.

The Paradox Obsessed said:
And that is?
I'm surprised you couldn't find any information on this in your text or online. :shock:

To learn about it, try this lesson. :wink:

If you have two points (x[sub:t7lkq1vg]1[/sub:t7lkq1vg], y[sub:t7lkq1vg]1[/sub:t7lkq1vg]) and (x[sub:t7lkq1vg]2[/sub:t7lkq1vg], y[sub:t7lkq1vg]2[/sub:t7lkq1vg]), then

d = sqrt[(x[sub:t7lkq1vg]2[/sub:t7lkq1vg] - x[sub:t7lkq1vg]1[/sub:t7lkq1vg])[sup:t7lkq1vg]2[/sup:t7lkq1vg] + (y[sub:t7lkq1vg]2[/sub:t7lkq1vg] - y[sub:t7lkq1vg]1[/sub:t7lkq1vg])[sup:t7lkq1vg]2[/sup:t7lkq1vg]]

The Paradox Obsessed said:
Thanks...my geometry book stinks-utterly. In test phases, actually. And for online...I wouldn't know what to search...

If you're looking for the distance formula, it would seem that "distance formula" would be a good thing to search on. AND....I'll bet you'll also find it in the index of your "utterly stinking" geometry book.

> The Paradox Obsessed's signature:
> Let's say there's a barber in a small town that shaves everyone who doesn't shave himself...who shaves the barber?

No need to: barber is a woman :idea: