Simple fraction question has me stumped!

Gaylore

Having a lot of problems with my homework! Here is the question...

Bob has 2 lemons left after selling two thirds. How many did Bob originally have?

I am completely stuck! I think the answer is 5 but I am not sure how to correctly work this out which is what I want to know how.

Thanks.

So...Bob has 2 lemons remaining after selling two thirds. First we need to find out what 1 third is, so we basically have to do this: If he sold 2 thirds, it means he has 1 third remaining. It also says he has 2 lemons remaining, which mean that is 1 third. So basically, the 2 lemons remaining is one third. Since the denominator is 3, you will have to do the 2x3.

Therefore the answer is 6

So...Bob has 2 lemons remaining after selling two thirds. First we need to find out what 1 third is, so we basically have to do this: If he sold 2 thirds, it means he has 1 third remaining. It also says he has 2 lemons remaining, which mean that is 1 third. So basically, the 2 lemons remaining is one third. Since the denominator is 3, you will have to do the 2x3.

Therefore the answer is 6

Thank you very much!

I am still slightly confused though. If Bob has 15 lemons remaining after selling two fifths that mean 15 is three fifths so 15 * 3 = 45?

Last edited:
Thank you very much!

I am still slightly confused though. If Bob has 15 lemons remaining after selling two fifths that mean 15 is three fifths so 15 * 3 = 45?
Yes, 15*3= 45 but that has nothing to do with this problem! Don't just put numbers together at "random". Taking three fifths of something means multiplying by 3 and dividing by 5. Here you are given the result and asked for the original number- you have to go back from 15. "Going back" means retracing your path- doing the opposite. The opposite of "divide by 5" is "multiply by 5". The opposite of "multiply by 3" is "divide by 3". What do you get if you divide 15 by 3 and then multiply by 5? As a check what is 3/5 of that number?

Thank you very much!

This is saying...if Bob sold 2/5 of his lemons, he has 3/5 remaining. If 15=3/5, then we need to find out what the remaining 2/5 is. Since we have 15 lemons in total, and that is = to 3/5, we have to divide the 3 by the 15, which is 5. Now that we know what 1/5 if, (5) we just x it by 2. This will give us 10 in total. Now that we know what the 2/5 is, we just add 10 plus 15, which gives us a total answer of 25.